0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Windows don't work, lights dimming

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Windows don't work, lights dimming

Hey guys,

I dug around a bit on the forums for a similar problem, and found some similar (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-850-16/dimming-dash-lights%3B-abs-tracs-off-lights-27922/) but not exactly my problem. So please forgive me if this exact scenario has already been answered, and thank you in advance for any help.

Car: 1990 240DL Wagon - 238k miles - runs excellent (this problem aside)

Problem History:
- 7 years ago - Lost air conditioning.
- 5 months ago - Lost belt between AC and Power Steering (since then Power Steering doesn't work, obviously, and mechanic said one of the wheels was seized up, too expensive to get power steering working)
- 3 months ago - "Light bulb out" light comes on, proceed to fix all lights missing, and never goes out.
- 3 weeks ago - Car stereo speakers stop working occasionally (bass in trunk still works, so i assume something with loose wire on internal speakers).
- 2 weeks ago - Power windows will only work when the car stereo is turned on and playing music
- 1 day ago - First time car has had trouble driving. I turned the car on (after some rain...not sure if that is relevant) and lights are pulsating between full and about 75% on, so not completely turning off). I take car out of parking spot, and can sense some issue with the acceleration, not fully smooth, drive around the block a few times, and eventually car starts to jerk a decent amount, I get nervous i will stall in traffic, and park the car.
- 10 minutes ago, I reach out to you guys for some knowledge.

Thanks so much everyone,
Mike "Forum Newbie"

Old 09-01-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I would clean up the battery terminal connections, and all of the fuses first. Then with the car running, measure the battery voltage to verfiy if its being charged ... should be somewhere around 14 VDC.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Thumbs down Sitting in car as I write, multimeter in hand

sitting in volvo as I type this. Volt meeter read 12dcv with car off and exaclty 14 with car on.

Windows still wouldn't work without stereo on, so I unplugged each speaker as well as removed the 60 amp fuse, to cut off Amy juice to the sub and amp in the trunk. Windows still have same problem.

Does that give you any clues?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:07 PM

I would look at fuses 10 and 12.

Attached Thumbnails Windows don't work, lights dimming-pw.jpg  
Old 09-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Fuse 12 WAS out, just so thin already it was hard to see until i took that sucker out and looked up close. Replaced and now windows work as intended.

Now do we really think that could have been causing my lights to "pulsate" and the car to sputter while driving around the block?

Old 09-15-2009, 06:48 AM

The saga continues. I actually haven't driven the car in two weeks since I replaced the fuse and the power windows started working. The car is sill having the issue acelerating and the lights still pulsate. When I started the car today all the instrument lights were on about half way for 60 seconds then a little gas and the went out. I got the volt meter as suggested earlier and it read 14 VDC as desired.

- all fuses are in tact
- is alternator definately good if reading 14?
- might battery be ravaged through all this?

What should I try next?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:01 AM

You might want to have the battery tested, make sure to clean all the connections. The ground for the lights is a black wire on the fender, close to the lights.

You might also try wiggling the key .. becuase it could be the ignition switch.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Guys (aka. Bubba),

I went to Pep Boys, had battery tested and he said it was bad. I bought a brand new one. Now the bad battery I dont pressume is the problem, but rather the aftermath of this short i am having (but that is just my amateur opinion).

The power windows are working fine, but the fuse that is blowing now is the #12 fuse.

ac - hasnt worked in about 7 years, but did recently loose that belt, which also does power steering....might that be drawing current, trying to make it turn, and causing the shorts?

the fuse blew today, after i put in the 8 amp fuse (previously had 25 amp fuse in here), and the fuse blew as soon as i turned the car on. no stereo in and no power windows being operated.

any thoughts?
thanks so much for your time thinking,
mike

Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 PM

For fuse 12:
Air conditioning (with blower control), Power windows (relay),
Heated rear window (relay), Seat belt reminder, Cruise control

The AC shouldn't be drawing any power unless its turned on. What doesn't make sense is why the windows only work with the stereo on? I would start looking around, noting any wires that don't look original, or being shorted out (exposed).