Wiper fuse keeps blowing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper fuse keeps blowing?

Hello,

I have a 1986 Volvo 240 GL, and the wiper fuse keeps blowing. I have put many new fuses in and they just keep blowing every time I start my car. If I put a 8a fuse in instead of a 16a fuse it doesn't blow and the horn works. (The horn and the wipers use the same fuse.) I'm not quite sure what could be causing this, and I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. I was told it could be the wiper motor or a short. Does anyone have any other opinions?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by zombie-eaters
Hello,

I have a 1986 Volvo 240 GL, and the wiper fuse keeps blowing. I have put many new fuses in and they just keep blowing every time I start my car. If I put a 8a fuse in instead of a 16a fuse it doesn't blow and the horn works. (The horn and the wipers use the same fuse.) I'm not quite sure what could be causing this, and I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. I was told it could be the wiper motor or a short. Does anyone have any other opinions?

Thanks
hello , something is not clear , an 8amp fuse should blow before a 16 amp fuse does . anyway should be a 16amp fuse for this circuit . does it blow when you turn the wipers on and what speed? does it blow when you beep the horn ? does it blow if you disconnect the wiper motor and then turn on the wiper switch , if so what position of the switch ? assuming the wiring is ok ,it's either a wiper motor drawing too much current or totally shorted . by the way , are you starting the car with the wipers on ? vtech

Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM

vtech,

The 16a fuse blows the second I start my car with the wipers off. If I put a 8a fuse in it does not blow even when the horn is used, but the wipers still do not work. ( I know a 16a is suppose to be used but I need a horn at the present moment, so I've tried everything.)I have not disconnected the motor with a fuse still in it, because every time I turn it over the fuse blows. The motor will make noise and sounds like it wants to move but doesn't.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is an easily removed plug connector on the wiper motor. Unplug the motor to isolate it and see if the fuse blows.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by zombie-eaters
vtech,

The 16a fuse blows the second I start my car with the wipers off. If I put a 8a fuse in it does not blow even when the horn is used, but the wipers still do not work. ( I know a 16a is suppose to be used but I need a horn at the present moment, so I've tried everything.)I have not disconnected the motor with a fuse still in it, because every time I turn it over the fuse blows. The motor will make noise and sounds like it wants to move but doesn't.

Thanks
I imagine you know that white fuses are 8 amp and red or pink are 16 amp . If the fuse does not blow with the wiper motor disconnected then either the motor is bad or the linkage is locked up . Either way , you have to remove the wiper motor and disconnect the linkage from the motor . then move the wipers by hand back and forth . If they move easy then replace the motor . Also always remember to turn the wipers off and let them park in the winter . If you turn the car off with the wipers not parked(on or up) and they are frozen in position with snow or ice the next time you start the car you can trash the motor again . I also remember the intermittent wiper motor relay under the dash on the driver's side behind the foot panel against the firewall hangs upside down and can fill with water if you have a leaky windshield . if thats blowing the fuse you can remove it and the wipers still work with out intermittent function . But it sounds like you said the wiper motor is humming & not working so sounds like the motor or linkage problem .

Old 01-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my 1990 245 wipers fail. The magnets inside the motor became unbonded from the casing. Some have been able to disassemble and super glue the magnets back in place. However, I could not join that elite club. So, mine was replaced. Not a bad job, just be mindful of motor timing, motor grounding and wiper position on install.