Wiring Harness for the license plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wiring Harness for the license plate lights

I am not sure if I posted in the right section, however I need some assistance in finding the diagram of the license plate light wiring harness. I went in to get my 1989 245DL inspected (it was 8 months overdo) and the stupid license plate lights decided to not work. The dumb thing was working yesterday and now it wasn't. So needless to say my car failed the inspection. I ordered the wiring harness from EEuro Parts and they are on the way, however they do not come with instructions on how to hook everything up. This is my first time replacing this harness, so does anyone have any advice in doing this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hatch wiring harness is under the hinges on the hatch. There are 2 sides one side(right or passenger side) controls rear lock and wiper motor the other(left or drivers side) controls rear defrost, 3rd brake light and license plate light....but if yu are going to do it...replace both sides because they ALWAYS go bad. You can actually stretch the existing harness and just butt connect into into if you do not want to replace the entire harness. If you do not have 2 people you will nedd to get something like a ladder or a long brrom stick to hold the hatch up while you rewire it because you need to diconnect the hinges..hope this helps

Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
The hatch wiring harness is under the hinges on the hatch. There are 2 sides one side(right or passenger side) controls rear lock and wiper motor the other(left or drivers side) controls rear defrost, 3rd brake light and license plate light....but if yu are going to do it...replace both sides because they ALWAYS go bad. You can actually stretch the existing harness and just butt connect into into if you do not want to replace the entire harness. If you do not have 2 people you will nedd to get something like a ladder or a long brrom stick to hold the hatch up while you rewire it because you need to diconnect the hinges..hope this helps
Thanks, I did purchase both sides because I was worried that if one side went, then the other will follow. Do you have a diagram on this?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

You really don't nee a diagram just remove the hatch hinges and follow the wires bro...when you open your hatch you should see the wires in clear site under the hinges...

Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by volvoguy2323
You really don't nee a diagram just remove the hatch hinges and follow the wires bro...when you open your hatch you should see the wires in clear site under the hinges...
Thanks! I am in the process of undoing it at the present moment...bro? Sorry I am chick so I have never heard this term used.

I have to say this is a bad design. What a pain. I guess it could be worse

Old 07-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luv-volvos
Thanks! I am in the process of undoing it at the present moment...bro? Sorry I am chick so I have never heard this term used.

I have to say this is a bad design. What a pain. I guess it could be worse
Sorry sister Yes, it is a very poor design only last 10 years or so...They changed it on the 940/740 to where it lasts forever..