Wiring Issue ? Overheating, PS loss.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Issue ? Overheating, PS loss.

This is kind of a loaded question because one issue has spawned into several others but here it goes. I just bought an 87' Volvo 240 Wagon (Manual) and the car ran and drove fine accept for the fact that the Alternator belt was loose, so I replaced the belts and everything apeared to work fine for a few days, well I started to loose charge so I replaced theAlternator with a Junk yard one and did not test it. Put that one in and still no charge. meanwhile a friend of mine was messing with the Wiring for the Stereo and possibly the fuse box.

Well suddenly my car is now losing the powersteeringand also after about 10 minutes of driving it Starts to overheat !!until I turn on the heater then it subsides. It doesn't appear that the car is losing Fluid, accept for maybe head gasket a little, and I think there is a very very small crack in the radiator but I do not think this is causing it to overheat, but I saw steam coming out of it when I first ran it a little hot.

Anyway I replaced the alternator AGAIN with another one also from a junkyard but had this one tested at Auto Zone (tested fine). Installed the new alternator, I realized there is a Black wire not going anywhere and was taped off. I am still not sure if this needs to be hooked up or what, The power, Warning light, and Ground are all connected and I re-cut the wires to get good connection. I put in new Battery wires, and also replaced the thick red wire going to the alternator. Started it up and same thing, (all lights were illuminated as if I was not getting a charge). Funny thing is ...is that when I turn the steering wheel the light goes on and off sometimes. I checked by removing hot cable, and realized I was still not getting a charge. My car is a big mess now and I am getting really angry... I apologize for the lengthy description but felt it was necessary. My question is... Did I miss a wire on the alternator ? Could messing with wires have done me in ? is there any other sensor that could be replaced ? Could it be the Wiring in the steering wheel ? Any thing else that could resolve the issue ?

I sincerely appreciate any input because I bought this for my daily driver and I am highly doubting its going to get me through the winter. Maybee thats what I get for buying an old car and maybee it was sitting too long ....... Thanks soooo much for your help or any insight... !!
Much Appreciated !!!!....

Old 10-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wiring Issue ? Overheating, PS loss.

Sounds like your friend messed up the wiring. Could be some wires touching at the fuse box. Better check that out. Make sure all insulation is there and that it is in good shape. Also, go to www.VLVworld.com, click on 240 photo, then "Engine Electrical," and "troubleshooting and repair manual" next to alternator.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Wiring Issue ? Overheating, PS loss.

Under the hood at the back of the motor is a gray 8 wire plug check all the wires there. The engine side is known to have the insulation fall off the wires. Check repair those wires.

Also make sure the alternator has a ground wire connected to it. If not make one and connect it.

I think the overheating problem is something different. Check the thermostat they are also known to break.

If you loose power steering that is another problem as well. That is in no way related to an electrical issue. Check tension on the belts and also make sure there is no problem with the A/C compressor.