1993 Volvo 960 - Radio & Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Volvo 960 - Radio & Transmission Questions

Hey folks,

I'm glad I found a place to ask questions on my '93 960. I just got it a few days ago, and it's a really great car, I absolutely LOVE it! Volvo sure makes a solid car, drives like a dream.

Anyway, enough with that. Here are a couple of things that I need to pick someone's brain about.

Radio

Just before I got the car, it was serviced by the previous owner, including a new battery, new brakes, new tires, new belts, etc. (103k miles) After it got out of the shop, the owner said the radio said reset. So he didn't touch it. Finally, when I got the car, the thing wouldn't work at all.

When I went to turn the radio on, nothing. Completely blank. So I figured it was locked up, and gave it 24 hours. After the 24 hours, I turned it on, nothing. So, I pulled out the owner's manual, and didn't find anything too helpful, so I just checked the audio system fuse. It was fine, but I decided to replace it anyway, just in case. Still, nothing. I then called the Volvo dealer, and they suggested pulling out the radio, and looking for a fuse behind the radio. I didn't find a fuse behind the radio, so I took apart the radio and inspected it and found nothing wrong.

I'm really going crazy without a radio, and I'm wondering if it could be anything else besides a faulty radio. I sure hope it isn't a major electrical issue, because that would just NOT be fun. [&:]

Transmission

While doing some highway driving yesterday, going about 70 MPH, in the economy mode, suddenly the transmission fault light began flashing, and the buttons for the mode selection also flashed between winter and sport, while the economy switch was still pressed down. It went off about two minutes later, after I slowed down to 55. I then continued on my trip, so I assumed it was okay.

Later in the day, it started to flash again, this time AFTER getting off the highway from going 65, and it did this on a local 30 MPH road. I then decided to pull over, just in case it was a major issue, and let it sit for three or so minutes until the light turned off. It hasn't done it since, even though I still drove 65+ later in the day.

Is this anything to worry about? The transmission shifts GREAT, and the fluid is at the correct level.

Thanks a lot! [8D]

Old 04-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 1993 Volvo 960 - Radio & Transmission Questions

If you have no screen then I think the radio is bad.There is nothing else I know of.

The transmission issue you should have the codes pulled and then check it out from there.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/
Follow the link to learn how to pul codes.
The transmission port is A1.Then post the codes and I will let you know what they are for.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:13 PM

The radio had a theif code that needs to reset is it loses power. I came in my owners manual on a business card size car. The original seller dealer may have it on file. also , you head light bulb must be dual filiment

Old 08-15-2005, 03:03 AM

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been three months, I forgot to come back and update my situation with the radio and transmission.

I ended up bringing the car to Best Buy and gave in to have a new radio installed. The problem was actually one of the wires feeding the radio, apparently it shorted out. The transmission, for whatever reason, hasn't given me a single problem since then.

Now, however, the car is pretty much shot. Brought it in to the stealership last week to diagnose a check engine light, and an ABS light, and to find out where oil leaks were coming from and got some bad news. Here is what is wrong with the car:

- oil leaks from headgasket, oil pan, transmission pan (?) and from other places that they couldn't get to
- oxygen sensor needs replacement
- ABS sensors need replacement

And also, the car needs a brake job, alignment, windshield (cracked from a stone chip), and A/C work. So basically, I'm in the market for another car. I really like this car, and would've kept it if it didn't need $3,500 in work to keep it rolling (safely). I still drive it daily, and add a quart of oil a week. Right now I'm debating if I'll get another Volvo or go with a Saab, I like both. Honestly though, I can say that this car is a great one, just that the previous owner(s) never took proper care of it.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:35 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I would have to see it to be sure but I doubt it is leaking from everywhere they are telling you.

Most leaks on those cars are either the cam seals or the breather box.

Sorry to hear you want to get rid of it.

Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 AM

I have a '94 960 that also had leaks from the same spots. I was told to use Quarker State High Milage b/c the synthetics in the oil actually regunivinates the seals. I have been using it for about 8 months and I have noticed a big difference. The leaks are gone and the knocking I had durring cold starts is also gone. So DON'T SELL IT. There are other cheaper alternatives. Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM

I have had three other Volvo's in the past and found that you can probaly find a good replacement transmissiona nd enginein most large Junk yard for under $500. it does not take that much to pull a Volvo engine and transmission out of one car and put the same engine size and type into your car. These machanics see Volvo on the side of the cars as $$$$$$$ not the actual costor condition of the car. I have had my Dad tell me he's spent a lot of $$$$ on a simple repair, like the side mirror he asked at the dealwer what it would cost for a new one installed they told him $650.00 I just did one in 15 minutes and spent $78.00 for the mirror. Now who's smart here?

You can find Volvo's in most junk yards with great parts. One of the Station wagons I owned was one I bought for parts I ended up scrapping the one I had before that a 245 and used the one I got from the yard my 245 had 562,965 miles on it when the frame finally gave out. That's a lot of miles for a 72 Volvo. I loved that car but when the frame goes it's time for another car.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:49 PM

Hi Tech, Just wondering why your waisting so much band space with your picture of your engine, Big deal you fixed up your engine one picture is enough. I know I'm new here but each time you post that picture it loads up the web server I know I 'm a web master for 12 sites.