88 Volvo 760 Turbo Need someone to identify this part if they can...pls help !

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Volvo 760 Turbo Need someone to identify this part if they can...pls help !

hey guys,
I have a 1988 Volvo 7604cyl. Turbo intercooler , Automatic Trans.

I have had some recent work done on the car for it was running rough and then quit starting at all. It would turn over but wasnt getting any fuel. Its a long story and I took it somewhere that (I think) had no clue of what they were working on. Anyway after a month or so and $700 I got my car back. It has been running good now for about two weeks and today it started to lose power and almost seemed to bogg down.
But its not the same problem I had before now, its different and until I can find someone to trust to work on it I thought I'd ask here in this forum. I use to work on cars years ago when they just had points, plugs and a carburator. But find it hard to do some of the harder trouble shooting on cars past the age of 1985 lol...hope that doesnt sound to funny? Plus I don't have a place to really tear apart the car and work on it either these days (live in an apartment).
I did however give a good look under the hood today and found some broken and took a picture of it. I'm hoping someone can tell me what part this is that is broken . I have Volvo manual but it doesnt cover everything. Here are some pictures and I hope someone can help.
It does hook up to the throttleassembly and has a vacuum hoserunning from the back of itas well. The only thing I might have seen closeto it in the manual is thatit might be a vacuum sensor for the Cruise control, but Im not sure?
Thanks in advance Bunky

PS- Click on the picture to enlarge for better quality.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15039/0D7E908736A8498B8244670FDE366B4F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15039/B2A92AD7645D4C94ADDDC10A6B80F293.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15039/D45F96723EA14EB998F9F495231A8D84.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Default RE: 88 Volvo 760 Turbo Need someone to identify this part if they can...pls help !

I would agree that it is the cruise control servo unit. It matches that on the VADIS parts list.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 88 Volvo 760 Turbo Need someone to identify this part if they can...pls help !

Yes thats what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM

Ok..thanks guys...one more question then. Do either of you know that this would make the car only when driving make it run like its bogging down or not shifting right. The cruise control has never worked on the car anyway, I never investigated it because I don't use the cruise control that much and its more of a around city kind of car for me. I am going to replace it this weekend anyway ,but I'm just guessing its notmy problem, hope it is but don't think so? Anyway if either of you know I would appreciate it. Im trying to network with neighbors to try and find a trustworthy mechanic also. Thanks and let me know what you think.
thanks,
bunky

Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Administrator

That would not affect the running of the car at all.
It would only have vaccum to it when the cruis is activated.

Is the turbo working?
Is one of the turbo hoses sucking shut when you hit the gas?

Old 02-26-2008, 09:31 PM

Tech,
I will check out the turbo hoses as you say. Thanks again for the quick response and I will check it out tomorrow the best I can of my ability.
I do know that when it started to happen that I got past the stumble and kind of gunned the gas pedal and watched the turbo gauge move over to the right like it normally does when giving it a little kick in the gas pedal. But the hoses sounds like a good area to start.
Thanks again and I'll write back either way of my findings.
bunky

Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 AM

Turbo is working and hoses are fine. I drove the car today and it was acting up, I went to gas station to top off the tank and after that the car ran normal????????????????????? I don't know what to think now, but I do know that I have a new fuel filter and fuel pumps are new as well. I'm going to keep driving it for the next few days and see if it starts acting up again.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Were you close to empty?
If so the intake fuel pump might be bad. You should have 2 on your car.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:44 AM

Tech,
I don't think so, since I've gotten the car back from the repair shop the gas gauge has been acting up. Now when I fill up the car it only goes up to half way now. Then it will eventually go all the way up to full after a few hours. I can only guess that when they replaced the fuel pump in the gas tank that while doing this they "may ?" have affected the gas gauge. I have driven the hell out of the car the last few days and it has been running fine. Im using high test which I usually don't because it's $4.00 a gallon here in California. So I hope this helps running high test gasif for some reason while replacing the fuel pump "maybe" they got some dirt other foreign crap in the gas tank?? Again I'm just guessing.
I also went to the junk yard today and got another cruise control vacuum servo to replace the one that is just hanging there in my car now. I know the cruise has never worked in the car since I've had it , I just can't stand it being loose like thatand broken. Good news is that it only cost me $3.95 and new ones were running about $70.00 a pop. I haven't been in junk yards for years and it was nice to go look around again in one. For anyone in the SAN DIEGO SOUTH BAYAREA there are a couple of nice yards that have quite a few different model Volvo's. From the 240's to many of the 740's,760's Sedans and wagons.
Tech also if the problem happens again I will take in consideration the intake fuel pump again and check myself to see if they actually changed it. Also to see if it has power. I'm guessing I have to pull the back seat to get where that intake fuel pump is? Not sure I'll check the book to see if it says. I'll update as soon as I find any new developments.
Thanks again,
bunky

Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator

You access the pump from the trunk. There is an access panel in the trunk.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM

hey tech and all,

Just wanted to follow up with you. Since I've last written the car was doing fine and one day left me and my daughter on the side of the road on a Sunday. ARgggggggg of course. I had it towed home and just let it sit until I decided what to do with it and who to take it to. I had a mechanic recommended to me who actually came out to me. Well he was on the way over and I put the jumper cables on it so he could hear it turn over and such, and right before he got there I made sure it would turn over and it started again...whewwww.....I can't win. So he would have preferred of course it not starting to givehim a better chance of figuring out whats was wrong with it. Anyway he told me a couple of things he was going to check and last weekend I did one of them and so far so good.

I replace the fuel pump relay switch( Its was the original relay too)thats behind the ash tray area and so far so good. Tech , in your opinion, do you think that a relay switch like this would work sometimes and sometimes not?? Just curious because I'm hoping that this is the answer. Either way I'm still kind of testing it out and we'll see..thanks again, Denis (bunky)

Update :April 08, 2008...... I finally found out the problem this past weekend. The mechanic who installed the in-tank fuel pump , reinstalled the gauge float unit/fuel pump in "side ways". In other words the pump and float were almost at a 90 degree's angle in tank instead of the float and pump being down at the bottom of the tank. I know it sounds crazy ,but that is the reason all this time. They had replaced the pump right , but put the whole assembly unit in the wrong position. I guess Volvo should have puta arrow on the unit "showing this side up" , but if a DIY like myself being able to discover this makes me wonder about some of the mechanics out there. Don't worry I won't be taking it back to that place.