93 960 wiper linkage bushing is shot can't find part online help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 93 960 wiper linkage bushing is shot can't find part online help please!

So we had snow, I thought it was just light powder and I did the lazy man's sweep and turned on the wipers to brush of the "powder" only it was really heavy wet snow, with a thick coating of ice on the windshield. (same on everything, roads trees etc.) The wipers stopped, I turned off the car, kept the accessories powered, turned off radio and heard the motor spinning. So I pulled the cowling off, and now.....

The metal/rubber gasket for the windshield is rusted to crap, I could barely get it back on, I should get a replacement.

I figured out that the wiper transmission linkage, which was fine and moved both arms as supposed to, had a worn out bushing on the linkage to the motor.

It's just a little black cup, instead of what I'm guessing should be a ball and socket joint that the bar pops onto.

I need the bushing, but I can't seem to find it online. Is this a dealer only item? Is it even a serviceable part?...or do I have to replace the whole linkage transmission, a PITA.

I did buy a GM and Nissan mutliple bushing kit, along with some grommets from a local hardware store in the hopes I can jury rig a fix. I tried to see if putting the cowling back on, and packing the cup/worn bushing with grease, would keep the armature bar on, but no luck. It's off again.

Can you help me find this part? Or do I have to wait until the dealer is open again? There's all kinds of slush and crap on the roads so I can't really drive until this is fixed, and I need to drive my one year old around during the day, Daddy homemaker.

Any help locating this part, or another solution would be great.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

The dealer may not be able to get the part. There are parts on our '98 that they can not supply any more.

You may have to get one from a junk yard. Let me know if you need help with that. There are a couple in the yards near me.

A photo would be necessary.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:35 PM

I called today here in CT, near New Haven on the coast. Called CT' Own Volvo, they wanted $350.00 for the wiper transmission, they said the bushing IS NOT a serviceable part.

I'll be looking for it on junk yards. I'm disabled, and it's very hard for me to do much of anything stand for a long time, etc. It's neurological/pain spine and brain issues, so I'm not even sure I can get out there in the cold and open it up again.

I'll look online and see if I can find the part, or see if there's a local junk yard that's got it.

thanks. It a '93 wiper transmission, according to Volvo.

Ugh. I love the 960, but the parts issues and difficulties do drive me nuts some times, when this thing dies I'll be looking for another 940 instead. Although, the ability to leave those stupid rat-trap noise making jap imports that kids bolt on loud exhaust systems on/and sometimes even the correct air intakes, and then leave them in the dust when they get aggressive on the roads is soooo much fun. A grocery getter kid mobile that hauls ***, I will miss that when this thing get's just too much $$$ to finally fix.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Sorry about the pain. Old cars always have something to fix tinker with.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this Parts Diagram here.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Yeah, I've seen that one, and the part that's rotted isn't listed. There's the pieces that go on the angled bar that attaches to the motor spindle, those are right next to the bar that "pops" onto the mushroom shaped spindle that moves the armature bar in a circle, thus moving the wipers back and forth, just like a steam train wheel linkage only a lot smaller of course.

I've found many used ones on ebay for about $30.00 bucks. It just sucks this happened the day of a big snow storm, then it's new years, but I'll get it fixed. I'm trying to see if I can jury rig something today with the old part. I'll get something done, somehow.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 PM

I fixed it....bit of a brain fart on my end, but it's working and up and running....also got my hood to close all the way, the little grabbers that hold on to the cones on the hood, they were frozen with grease that had turned into glue, got them freed up and the springs and cables cleared with cleaner, after I had removed the covers for the radiator. I can't believe a reputable mechanic said the parts for the hood hold/release were, "Part of the radiator unibody, you'd have to have them cut out, replaced and welded back in to the radiator assembly...." That stupefied me. I went into the garage, pointed to the three bolts holding it in place, the fact that is wasn't part of any body, and they guy was like, "Oh yeah....I guess so..it just looked like...." Looked like what??? A simple part that could fail was welded into the radiator frame?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Lol, you might want to stay away from that guy. I'm actually laughing out loud waking up my wife.