960 Cooler Line Fitting Info?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 960 Cooler Line Fitting Info?

Greetings.

Have simple question which anyone can answer but me

OK. I simply need to know the line size/connector designation for the cooler line endpieces which hook into the radiator on the '95 960. The stuff is not standard AN, that much I can glean; but the rest totally eludes me.

FWIW, IPD offers a flush kit which features the needed brass sizes; but no mention with the required info is to be found there or in the exploded views which I could find for the assembly...

Thanks!

Old 06-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 98 (check auto parts dealers to see if your radiator is the same)
M16x1.5 Inverted Flare

Last year, I got an adapter on ebay for this inverted flare to a -6. The seller doesn't have them anymore. If you buy one be sure it is an inverted flare, this is the fashion for automotive but not industrial. (My adapter is male thread - male thread, the M16 side has concave angles, the -6 side has convex angles)

I've been meaning to ask a machine shop person how much it would cost to have some M16 to barb nipple fittings turned up from brass.

Good on you for thinking like me - I want to do the flush but don't want to make a mess The internet guys with their "clamp a 1 inch ID tubing onto the hex" roused a bit of a laugh.

Last edited by VDonkey; 06-06-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks VDonkey, for touching base and sharing your savvy Many kudos again!

However, unfortunately I just discovered our old AWs didn't include an actual filter on the pickup All we get here is a piece of steel screen to keep the boulders out of the system: Was naturally hoping for something in at least low double-digit micron level filtration. I guess I should've known that there'd be mischief afoot like this with Volvo claiming a "lifetime fill" for the unit...

So, I'm in the process now of "tribological triage" with a proper filter and perch on the roster just ahead. Mount placement will be a bit of a bear without drilling into either the frame or strut tower, neither of which I'd care to undertake with the stress concentration potentials. I think I've got some idea of how to get it together; but we'll probably play it by ear to at least some extent...

On top of this, the lines were murderously overtightened into the cooler with the recent radiator change. Indeed, this is truly a textbook case of "leave it alone" torquewise; lest the cooler stand a good chance of being compromised with all that means for the ultimate fate of the transmission.

Therefore, my next trick will be to carefully (and cleanly) cut a segment out of the top (return) line and put a couple of these in the fluid path for the upcoming filter retrofit:

COOLER LINE FITTING, 10MM Compression to 3/8" Hose Barb

They're the only 10mm compression to 3/8" barb fittings which I could find in the wild. After getting it all together, I'm hoping to release the modified line back at the transmission case for a quick clearout before returning the car to service.

At some point I'll probably fit something like this as well,

3-Way Ball Valve [3WBV-WOG200-F050] | DudaDiesel Biodiesel Supplies

to facilitate all future flushes without so much drama

Anyway, long way back to Houston; but I'm hoping it'll be worth it in the end!

Thanks again; and have a great weekend --

Cheers

Last edited by Cubic_Curiosity; 06-08-2015 at 12:16 PM.