960 NOS Structural/Body Parts Availability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 960 NOS Structural/Body Parts Availability?

Greetings!

Been recently occasioned to sample the laughable discrepancies between what many online (US) databases say they have and what is actually available when looking about for NOS 960 body/structural pieces.

FWIW, I tried the key conglomerated databases including OEM Auto, Parts.com, Tasca, Swedish, PartsWebsite.com, Volvo Warehouse, and the backend dealer network "Parts Voice" just for good measure. With the exception of Parts Voice, I found many of the online databases were very far off vs. actual, available NOS stock for the order I was putting together. Word to the wise: DON'T START A PROJECT BASED UPON WHAT MOST MAIN US DATABASES INDICATE AS BEING AVAILABLE... you will be quite rudely surprised.

And sadly, no, the used/salvage yard route will not work here either (without cutting and mutilation).

So, bearing this all in mind, I now come with the following question: Does anyone have a favorite international source located in a territory which generally provides a fuller supply of NOS items for the 960s, or is there another country which has extended availability overall for body/structural parts vs. the US market?

Thanks, and have a great day

Last edited by Cubic_Curiosity; 08-19-2015 at 04:44 PM. Reason: grammar/clarity --
Old 08-17-2015, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a rust free parts car in the same color as mine. Lots of ones out there with pooched motors because someone did not change the timing belt.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:27 AM

@Hylton:

...and a great idea this is! If I had the space, I'd be doing the exact same thing

Digging deeper now: In contact with some sources on the Continent. Might hit Australia, too; as the exchange rates look very good. Just found one of my quarry this morning, and might have a line on more.

I'll pass along what I can as things develop!

Old 08-18-2015, 11:44 AM

Some developments:

Turns out, the one crucial part for our little project which all checked US sources indicated was completely unavailable, magically appears on order screens in Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia. Thrilling!

Now, after this pointless merry-go-round, I come back to the US: WHAT MOST OF THESE BOZOS WON'T TELL YOU IS THEY CAN BACKORDER OLDER STOCK DIRECTLY FROM THE FACTORY. Global leadtimes are reasonable, and, if you do your home- and legwork, you might even be able to avoid "dollar rape" in the end. Hint: Pricing is set per dealer and seemingly without regard to any overall guidelines.

So, a US order may yet be cut for me; and I'll then be short only one piece which is affirmed as discontinued thanks to courteous help from elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can find some good players on this side of the pond. Volvo Parts Webstore, for example, seems to be a reasonable choice overall; and there may be others with good databases and good prices. Like anything else, don't take NO for an answer...

Cheers --