Central Locking engages automatically when it feels like it

Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Central Locking engages intermittently at random times

'94 960 sedan 153K miles, I've owned it for about 2 months. When I'm driving the central locking will engage and lock all of the doors on its own, not at any particular speed or a particular time, just occasionally when it feels like it. I actually would prefer that the doors don't lock automatically, so when it happens I pull the button up on the driver's door to unlock all doors. The majority of the time the doors will stay unlocked indefinitely. Occasionally they will lock again maybe seconds after I unlock them maybe minutes later, maybe never. No particular event seems to trigger them locking, like going above a certain speed. It just happens randomly. I have yet to see it unlock automatically but I don't wait to see if it will unlock. I pull up on the button to unlock the doors each time they lock on their own. The one time the doors WILL unlock automatically is if the doors are locked when I park the car, as soon as I turn the key to the off position the doors will immediately unlock.

I searched the archives of this forum and I gave up after about 8 pages of results for central locking, none referring to the same problem I have.

Is the car supposed to lock the doors automatically after you reach a certain speed? How might I disable the auto locking feature if they are supposed to lock on their own say above 15 MPH and mine are symptoms of an improperly behaving auto locking feature? I don't want to completely disable central locking. I do want to be able to turn the key to lock and unlock all doors and the trunk (boot for our European friends). But I would like to disable them from locking on their own. They never unlock on their own, like I don't ever come up to my parked car which I locked and find it unlocked. It's only while driving that the doors lock automatically on their own without warning. It's so loud when they go ka-chunk that it's kind of spooky. Ha.

Last edited by va740twagon; 03-01-2018 at 07:50 AM.