A few general questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few general questions

Hey all -- apologies if this has all been covered to death, I'm a new forum member and am still checking through FAQs and so forth.

I have been tasked with replacing the radiator (and accompanying hoses, thermostat, and so forth) on a friend's 1996 (or maybe 97?) Volvo 960; I'm fairly handy and have done plenty of my own car work, but I've never worked on a Volvo before, and I was wondering if there are any known gotchas or things I should keep in mind before I start taking stuff apart (I do not currently have any service manuals, though a Chilton's manual is allegedly on the way and will be here within the next week or so).

Also; what are the general common tools that a mid-90s 960 will need (socket / wrench sizes and so on)? My Mazda is apparently made out of nothing but 14 and 11mm sockets, I'm just wondering if Volvo has a similar convention.

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 PM

Hi, I inherited the Chiltons book with my S90 about a month ago, and I feel like throwing it away. I haven't learned anything from it. I will share with you what I know generally.

You will need lots of Torx screwdrivers and sockets.

If you need to replace hose clamps do not use the clamps they sell at the auto/hardware store. If you look at the factory clamps they have rolled edges and do not severely bite into the hose. This is one reason it lasted 15+ years. You can get nice hose clamps from mcmaster-carr. Get some emery cloth too to clean nipples. If you do this right it will not leak again for another 15 years. None of the aftermarket hoses are as good as Volvo's.

If your dealer has a high price for blue coolant, you can probably find it cheaper at the benz or bmw dealer. The import auto store in my town carries those two too. FCP has it for the same price. G05 is okay too, but it's more expensive for me to buy than the benz coolant!

The manuals that you want are known as the 'green books.' The way to get them now is to pay $50 for the "Original Technical Publications" DVD. This is a crap way to use the manuals but apparently you can print the pages you want on the one computer you are allowed to view the books on. Failing this we have to sift through material from the internet.

There is a program called vadis that you can get from torrents which has part of the green book material from these cars in it. For instance I found the procedure to replace the thermostat but cannot find the torques for the thermostat housing screws.

If you want paper copies of the green books, volvotechinfo will not sell them to you anymore but they have a list of them and their numbers so that you can troll used book sites.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

Need very little, if any, special tools or knowledge, to perform that job. Basic tool kit, torx bits should be included... No manual needed, it's all right there and pretty self evident. Chilton manuals are worthless; you can find all the info needed just Googling stuff, if you get stuck, which should not happen. And, no, nobody torques thermostat housing nuts! Use any coolant approved for aluminum which is about all of them these days.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Danowar and welcome to the site.

In addition to the info already provided, I'd like to add/warn about the Volvo white block motors. There are two small but important things to know about.

1. These motors are vulnerable to burn valves. I believe it is due to a chain of events. It starts because people use aftermarket oil filters (I only use Volvo or Mann), this causes extra wear on the valve stem seals, which causes oil to get past them, oil sets on the valves, causes the valves not to seat, which will cause them to burn.

2. The cars have a breather system that causes excessive pressure in the head when not properly serviced. Make sure the Flame Trap is cleaned or replaced and all should be fine. If this is NOT done, you can end up with blown seals.

Other than that the car has a timing belt that has to be replaced (with rollers) or it will break and destroy the head. I have a decent timing belt video on YouTube.

Thanks for checking in.

Last edited by rspi; 10-27-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:51 PM

RSPI:

What do you mean when you refer to the "White Block motors"? Is that all of the 6 cyl. aluminum engines used on 960's?

Thanks for all the good info you provide. I have all the parts in hand now for my timing belt/water pump job.

If I don't see a record of flame-trap replacement in my 960 with 200k on it, should I just plan to replace it soon?

Thanks again,

David