Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

NOOB questions about S40/Volvo in general

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOOB questions about S40/Volvo in general

Hello Volvo folk!
My wife and I have decided on getting her an 05 or 06 S40..The T5 AWD to be exact.
One of my friends, who has been a loooong time Volvo owner, just told me that I should pass on any newer Volvo due to computer problems. He has only owned older Volvos but was going to upgrade to a nwer 04,05 or 06 model. He went by our local Swedish Service center, which is the best one around our area, and asked the owner his thoughts on the new Volvos. He was surprised to hear the owner of the shop say DO NOT bother with newer Volvos. He said the computers were crap and the circuit boards regularly fried and it was a costly repair involving the replacement of the entire computer system....

Is there any truth to this? If so, is it really not worth buying a newer Volvo or would an extended warranty take care of any potential problems?
I'm hoping this is not the case but this is coming from a service tech that specialized in Volvos....

Thank you all in advance!

Old 09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Default RE: NOOB questions about S40/Volvo in general

The "Other" Volvo forum has a LONG thread about a problem where the T5 version of the newer S40 starts, stumbles, and stalls upon a cold start-up. Volvo is working on totally reprogramming a FIX and the few Beta Testers have said it works except for one person who got the wrong reflash. There's also some problems with the CD player locking up that's fixed with a "Re-Flash" of the computer, and some people say the HVAC gets "Confused" and blows hot & cold air at the same time.... Sometimes. But all these things are being fixed with just a re-flash of the existing computer. No "Smoked Circuit Boards" . The S40 does rely a LOT on computers & modules to control functions where a mechanical switch and some wires would have been more trouble-free. There have been some odd things happen like a failed clutch and a broken axle but the clutch was replaced under warranty and the Volvo Area Rep. immediately investigated the broken axle and nothing more has been reported. I personally think some of these issues are due to abuse from the younger drivers the S40/V50 attract.
I have about 8000 miles on My '06 S40 I picked up 6-28-05 and it's been great so far. I get the advertised MPG or 1-2 mpg more. It's done the S-S-S as it's called 8-9 times but like all the rest it starts promptly after it stalls. There's a bit of looseness in the left CV joint on the car I'm going to have looked at eventually when the reflash for the SSS done. I hear it kinda "Clunk" on every gear shift.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:54 PM

I've had my '06 S40 for a few weeks now, and I had the "confused" AC a couple times. The passenger's side would blow HOT air while the driver's side would blow cold, when both were set on the same temp. So I would just crank the passenger's side to max heat and then back down to the AC temp, and all was well. This hasn't happened in over a week, so maybe it "fixed" itself.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:46 AM

I think I can attest to some of the information that you have heard. I just bought a 2006 S40 T5 last week. This is my second s40 in 6 months, my first one had soooo many problems that Volvo offered a trade assist to get me out of it. Of course, I am thankful that they did that as I did not have to go through the state to pursue the lemon law. It was also a way to keep me in the Volvo family. If this car turns out to be as flawed I will have to pursue the lemon law to not end up in another Volvo. The sad thing is I really like the car. Half way across the country on the first day of my honeymoon is not the time for a car's a/c system to shut down and the car not start. Now I am in a struggle with Volvo b/c they quit offering the maintenance program in 2006 and no one shared that with me when I was offered a trade assist...I fould it out on my own and I feel like they owe me the same program. I am currently asking this of my dealer since Volvo of north america was no help. Good luck on your decision, you will love the car!!!