Hotwiring My Volvo

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hotwiring My Volvo

Hey guys.. I have a 1989 Volvo 760 Turbo. She ran great, and I loved her, however one day I came out to go to work and she wouldn't start. It wasn't a normal type of starting issue, but something very odd I had never experienced. My key wouldn't work! The key wouldn't turn. Previously the key didn't work in the locks, so I should have figured it was only a matter of time before it got too warn for the ignition. Anywho, I went to a locksmith, another locksmith, and finally the Volvo dealership and none of the new keys worked (I had 3 keys cut totaling $150). I was told by the man at the dealership that the problem lies within my ignition cylinder (a $400 dollar repair). I'm a broke college student and I don't have that kind of cash.. Does anyone know how to hotwire my Volvo?? I realize some of you may not want to post a reply to this as it could potentially be used in a wrong way.. so feel free to message me! Please please help.. I'm tired of riding my bicycle around town

Old 12-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weckta
Hey guys.. I have a 1989 Volvo 760 Turbo. She ran great, and I loved her, however one day I came out to go to work and she wouldn't start. It wasn't a normal type of starting issue, but something very odd I had never experienced. My key wouldn't work! The key wouldn't turn. Previously the key didn't work in the locks, so I should have figured it was only a matter of time before it got too warn for the ignition. Anywho, I went to a locksmith, another locksmith, and finally the Volvo dealership and none of the new keys worked (I had 3 keys cut totaling $150). I was told by the man at the dealership that the problem lies within my ignition cylinder (a $400 dollar repair). I'm a broke college student and I don't have that kind of cash.. Does anyone know how to hotwire my Volvo?? I realize some of you may not want to post a reply to this as it could potentially be used in a wrong way.. so feel free to message me! Please please help.. I'm tired of riding my bicycle around town
Is this the part you need?
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-700/Elec...-191-343-1432/

The following users liked this post:
addiemarie (10-17-2021)
Old 12-10-2009, 04:38 PM

No dude, I was told I need a whole new ignition cylinder ( the thing that the key sticks and and turns). From the estimates I got, it's a pricey repair, and I would just assume hotwiring this thing (it's kinda a beater)! Know how to hotwire??

addiemarie (10-17-2021)
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM

No dude, I was told I need a whole new ignition cylinder ( the thing that the key sticks and and turns). From the estimates I got, it's a pricey repair, and I would just assume hotwiring this thing (it's kinda a beater)! Know how to hotwire??
Actually I do, but considering your post it would involve you actually doing the work. Get access to the part I listed(on your column) will give you the ability to start the vehicle for no money.

addiemarie (10-17-2021)
Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Alright.. I'll try to get one of those babies! Think I could pull one from the ol' Pick-N-Pull?? Or is this something I should buy new? Thanks for the help man!

Old 12-10-2009, 06:02 PM

Alright.. I'll try to get one of those babies! Think I could pull one from the ol' Pick-N-Pull?? Or is this something I should buy new? Thanks for the help man!
No you misunderstand. I posted that part thinking your original post said it was not starting. Overlooked the fact that the key was not turning. The key goes into the lock, we turn the key, which does several things.
1. Turning the key cylinder releases the steering wheel lock
2. The turning motion directly translates to that electronic switch to power up the needed wires for start and running.

You could always turn the switch(located on the column, opposite side of the key) manually to start the car, but your kind of out of luck since you can't disable the mechanical steering wheel lock without destroying it(as far as I know). Hollywood never shows that part of the scene.

Things you could try:
1. WD-40 and moderate pressure with the key
2. If its a small piece of metal jammed in the steering lock mechanism, then maybe a few good whacks to the steering wheel could jar it loose.
3. Bite the bullet and pay to have it replaced.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

You should contact a volvo junk yard to get the parts you need. Key and all.