How Do You Check Transmission Fluid Level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do You Check Transmission Fluid Level?

I have never been able to find a dipstick for the transmission. Can anyone tell me how to check the transmission fluid level on a 1996 960 sedan?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 PM

It's way down there, you really have to reach for it. The dipstick on mine has a yellow plastic top, but dirt might hide the color. It's a square shape, like a socket extension will fit into it. Look down at the bellhousing on the drivers side (usa drivers side.) You should see it. There's a metal clip on the dipstick tube that holds it in, that you should push away with your finger to pull it up.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need to start the car and let it come to operating temperature. Then shift through all the gear positions, P, N, D, 4, 3 for a few seconds each. Then you can check the fluid level. VDonkey is right about its location, so be careful not to bun yourself on the block. Fortunately (on the US models anyway) its on the intake side.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd always heard that one should use a long 1/2" extension to connect and withdraw the dipstick (?)

Change the fluid while you're grubby, if you haven't already. It's coming up next for me and my recently-acquired '95...

Psychologically, they seem to make even the most basic, regular check on this critical powertrain component off-limits. They're probably hoping for folks to ditch the whole car and get a new one when the trans fails from many miles of neglect.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by VDonkey
It's way down there, you really have to reach for it. The dipstick on mine has a yellow plastic top, but dirt might hide the color. It's a square shape, like a socket extension will fit into it. Look down at the bellhousing on the drivers side (usa drivers side.) You should see it. There's a metal clip on the dipstick tube that holds it in, that you should push away with your finger to pull it up.
Thank you very much for your help. I will look for it again tomorrow morning.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nichals
You will need to start the car and let it come to operating temperature. Then shift through all the gear positions, P, N, D, 4, 3 for a few seconds each. Then you can check the fluid level. VDonkey is right about its location, so be careful not to bun yourself on the block. Fortunately (on the US models anyway) its on the intake side.
Thank you for the information. I wonder why there is no mention of checking the transmission fluid in the owners manual.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cubic_Curiosity
I'd always heard that one should use a long 1/2" extension to connect and withdraw the dipstick (?)

Change the fluid while you're grubby, if you haven't already. It's coming up next for me and my recently-acquired '95...

Psychologically, they seem to make even the most basic, regular check on this critical powertrain component off-limits. They're probably hoping for folks to ditch the whole car and get a new one when the trans fails from many miles of neglect.
Thank you for your reply. I just want to check the fluid level and mack sure it looks clean. I'm not having any problems with it at all so if everything looks good I'm not about to change the fluid.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by emacsp
Thank you for the information. I wonder why there is no mention of checking the transmission fluid in the owners manual.
You will notice this trend in many cars, more and more lately.
some cars now even have a sealed transmission making it impossible to check the fluid. They also like to call this a "Lifetime" fluid however most people consider this a problem because transmission fluid does break down like most all other fluids.