How to turn off 960 anti-theft?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turn off 960 anti-theft?

I am brand new to my new/old 1996 960 and am wondering if this is a standard Volvo anti-theft system that I have run into or something unique to this car. Is there some secret sequence of locking and unlocking the drivers door that turns this 'no start/parking light blinking' off?

I just disconnected the battery to do some poking around in the engine bay.
I reconnect the battery, sit down in the drivers seat and the parking lights start flashing. Turn the key to start and all the idiot lights go on but no start? I see a bunch of posts about resetting the radio code, which I have done successfully but nothing about what I would guess is an anti-theft system. While I am sitting in the car with the lights flashing the red light on the radio that says 'anti-theft' is blinking. I am hoping this is a Volvo thing and not something unique to the owner. The owner got the car from his father-in-law when he passed away and does not know anything about it.

Also, I am in the process of trying to determine if my AC compressor and clutch are working by jumping the main wire to the battery. I had no problem finding that wire but also found that there are two green wires that look like they go to the bottom of the compressor and have been clipped off to about an inch. Anyone know what these are for? I am thinking they might have much to do with my compressor not engaging in the normal way.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee

Old 07-22-2010, 08:28 PM

I did a little more due diligence and think I found the answer to my no start issue. Lock and unlock the door? I cannot try it right now but that looks like the golden goose. After years messing around in the pedestrian 240 world I have now learned the phrase 'no start immobilizer'. It sure immobilized me.

Still wondering why the previous owner snipped off the two wires at the bottom of my so far non turning AC compressor.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
1996 960

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Anytime you disconnect the battery you have to lock and unlock the driver door to reset the alarm system. You should also be hearing an alarm horn, if not, it needs to be fixed. You can do that with the key in the door or the alarm remote.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Default The "school solution" doesn't work

I have a 97 960 and today it started acting up. I have keys but no fob.

I charged the battery after leaving it in the garage for a month.

I opened the car door normally with the key and put it in the ignition. When I turned the key, I got alarm and flashing lights.

I pull the key out, exited, locked the car, re-opened the car-- same thing.

I have no fob to reset.

There are three relays, I am told. I am looking at pulling them, because I don't need a temperamental alarm system on this car.

Can anyone tell me how to disable the system and the location of the alarm circuit?

I have not yet seen it anywhere.

Thank you.

Last edited by strelnik; 06-04-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:34 AM

This is interesting. On my 98, I don't need the fobs to have the alarm. If I lock the car using the key, the alarm activates. The parking lights flash and the LED on the passenger's speaker starts flashing.

If I don't want the alarm, I have to lock the car, unlock only the driver's door, lock the door, then close it.

Do you have any wiring diagram?

Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by VDonkey
This is interesting. On my 98, I don't need the fobs to have the alarm. If I lock the car using the key, the alarm activates. The parking lights flash and the LED on the passenger's speaker starts flashing.

If I don't want the alarm, I have to lock the car, unlock only the driver's door, lock the door, then close it.

Do you have any wiring diagram?

I have no wiring diagram. And trying to get something out of VIDA/VICE that you can print is like asking the sun not to shine. I now understand why there's so much copyright infringement and piracy in Sweden, people are tired of this kind of smug control over information.

I suspect the battery may be the culprit and I am going to get a new battery for this vehicle. If the new battery goes dead, then I know I have a short somewhere, but have not seen that.

I hate this alarm system and will remove it as soon as I learn how. It's another money pit that Volvo created for the dealer. Especially with the immobilizer.

I may write up a DIY on that, if there isn't one.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by strelnik
I have no wiring diagram. And trying to get something out of VIDA/VICE that you can print is like asking the sun not to shine. I now understand why there's so much copyright infringement and piracy in Sweden, people are tired of this kind of smug control over information.

I suspect the battery may be the culprit and I am going to get a new battery for this vehicle. If the new battery goes dead, then I know I have a short somewhere, but have not seen that.

I hate this alarm system and will remove it as soon as I learn how. It's another money pit that Volvo created for the dealer. Especially with the immobilizer.

I may write up a DIY on that, if there isn't one.

I have resolved the issue. The car now starts.

1. Initially, I suspected a weak battery. A new battery did not solve the problem.

2. After installing the new battery and attempting to start after turning the key in the lock, still no success. Blinking lights and beeping horn.

3. I opened the side panel on the console, under the glove box. Virtually all the relays had been removed from their sockets, including the ones that should have somehow activated or de-activated the alarms.

4. I replaced the panel and went to the fuse box on the side of the instrument panel.

5. I removed fuses 2, 4, 11 and attempted to start the car. No response.

6. I replaced fuses 2 and 11. The car started and the immobilizer was immobilized. The alarm system is de-activated.

7. The bad news is that I also have no power locks, but at least the car runs.

8. Now onto the next phase: replace the PNP switch using the tool and new part, then start the baseline of all important items.

9. Following that, I will replace all seat covers as soon as I can find some that fit.