sunroof will vent but not slide back

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof will vent but not slide back

I have read most of the threads and posts on sunroof issues and am still unclear how to proceed. MY sunroof will open to the vent position however when I try to open it to the slide back position it simply closes from the vent position then the sunroof drops dramatically as if it is going to retract then simply stops. I did as instructed in several of the posts and unscrewed the 4 screws which attaches the glass to the slide mechanism. Removed the glass and cleaned the tracks..I did find some small bits and pieces of broken plastic but nothing large enough to impede retraction....

Should I be looking for something else....is there a belt or band visible to the eye that I should be seeing...please advise...thanks

Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

What kind of car do you have? I just fixed a 960 with that same problem.

What happened with that one was the slide lock latch was stuck. It's near the front of the tracking assembly. When you switch the sunroof to open, the sunroof drops, when it does, it presses down on these clips near the front. The back edge of the clip goes down and the front end goes up (unlocks so the sunroof can slide back). With the sunroof removed, raise the roof to the vent position, then to the closed position, then tap the button to start the slide open direction. As the sunroof assembly starts to drop but not drop all the way, look at that metal swivel piece under the guide and you should be able the press the back edge of it, it should spring load. If one side does and the other side doesn't, the side that doesn't is stuck. I put the tip of a screw driver on it and hit the driver with the palm of my hand to pop it loose. Then try to grease it up real good so it doesn't get stuck again. If it does, you may have to drop the motor and adjust that track cable one notch.

Most people think that the guide selectors are bad and causing the jam but at $160 each, I'll free the latch.

Last edited by rspi; 06-25-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM

sorry..its a 96 volvo 960 and i think i know exactly what ur talking about....When i had the glass out I was examining everything not knowing exactly what i was looking at. But I do remember these two spring loaded clips on either side. And on the right side when i pinched back the clip...the track would move...however on the drivers side..when i pinched the clip back....no movement was forthcoming...

Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 AM

I will try that today and keep u posted...thanks

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Well, i got the driver side to move once i released the spring loaded pin and slid the whole tracking assemble back and forth. However i think my real problem lies in some sort of adjustment...because when my sunroof completes its vent position cycle and prepares to retract....the track mechanism seems to drop below the the retract track and hits something metal preventing it from starting the retraction process....only when i guide it with my hand while pushing the retract button can i keep it from dropping to far....then both sides engage and i see the roof tracks(without the glass) retract under roof of the car....

Old 06-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know of any adjustments unless one of the tracks is a tooth or two off from the other. You can drop the motor and try to move the left or right took over a knotch or two. If you think they are in sync, you may need to replace your guide selectors.