what to do

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do

I have a 97 960 w/ 240000 mi. Last year timing belt went, rebuilt top end myself. Ran fine for a year then son drove it overheated for a while. [damn plastic heater control valve blew].Long story short,after replacing alt, rad and other pricey items.I have a milk shake for oil. I sure the head warped end head gasket went too. I looked at the block and did not see any cracks. The question is, is it worth the money for the parts? The body is in great shape, int good,or is it time for the recycling yard

Old 05-13-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Mike442:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorta new to Volvoland; but, as with anything of this nature, it's going to be a matter of what you want to put into the remaining "good" that's left; and how much "fiddle time" you can contribute to the mix yourself

One source which might be helpful is over here. This'll give you a quick thumbnail sketch of what's available ala carte for a rebuild of the old mill.

And, while you're at it, you should give some thought into whether or not the tranny needs to be "freshened up." If so, there are shops which do performance Supra work and might be able to robustly refit the working guts for you. Check about: If I'm not mistaken, your AW trans will probably fit their MO

If the rest of the car is prime, it'd be a shame to send it to scrap; but, again, everything has its limits...

Cheers!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
lev
Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts

For a quickie head gasket repair you can use something called Blue Devil. It's an additive you put in the system and it seals breaks and cracks. It is relatively pricey at $60 plus but it works surprisingly well, and it is "money back" guaranteed. I think for a cheap car you can't beat it. Give it a try and follow the instructions to the letter; I have used it several times and it's worked great!