Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

$900 brake job. Was I taken..?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $900 brake job. Was I taken..?

I'm curious what you think about the repair work I paid for today. It might help me determine if I should use this repair shop again in the future. Thanks for any advice.

First, I'd just like to say that I am not accusing the auto repair shop of ripping me off. They seemed like good guys and I saw several customers come in while I was waiting and they all seemed like happy repeat customers. But I did have quite a bit of sticker shock. I think I was in such shock that I forgot to even ask if all four of my rotors honestly needed to be replaced. I never looked at them closely but if memory serves there were noticeable grooves on all of them and with 172K miles on my car it is anyone's guess when they were replaced or resurfaced last. I really just popped in to get a brake leak fixed and have my brake pads replaced. Brake fluid has been slowly leaking from my front driver's side wheel for nearly a year and I was starting to hear a grinding noise from that area as well (turns out there was metal on metal from a worn brake pad). Anyway, I declined to have the leak fixed at this time because that was going to be another $600 which, added to the $900 I did pay today, would have brought my total repair costs to over $1,500 for a car that I would be lucky if I could sell for $1,500.

I'm sure we've all been there before, (I know I have) dumping money into a car that isn't worth much. Such is life. The reason I went ahead and had the brakes done for $900 is because... well, I love my Volvo. It is by far the most reliable, best running car I have ever owned. And I don't have a place to work on it myself as I live in an apartment building and we are not allowed to work on our cars there. Since I live in a new city I don't have any friends around yet where I can take my car and work on it. [Note: I have also had difficulty located any wrecking yards in my area that have Volvos. I am told there used to be one, but it closed years ago.] I realize some guys might think I was insane to pay $900 for the brake job. But, I'm one of those people that has a little bit more money than time so it was not a huge, huge deal for me. Yes it stung but it didn't really impact me significantly.

You might say, "If you have that much money why don't you just buy a newer Volvo instead of dumping cash into a car with 172K on it?" Well, that is a valid question! I dunno. I have a lot of affection for my 'old' car and I kinda want to spiff it up and keep it for a few more years. Plus most of my money goes into investments so to take 7 grand or 12 grand and plunk it down on a newer car would injure my ability to pour money into investments and that is my priority right now, not a nicer car. Okay. Enough boring info. On to the cost breakdown!

.........PARTS

$ 5.98 (1) brake fluid
$ 69.92 (1) front brake pad set
$ 4.26 (2) anti-seize
$ 11.90 (2) break cleaner
$ 181.38 (2) front brake discs
$ 52.46 (1) rear brake pad set
$ 145.90 (2) rear brake discs

.........LABOR

$ 0.00 Customer reports intermittent slow fluid leak at driver's front tire area - possible brake fluid. Found fluid leaking from between ABS pump motor and distribution block - customer declined replacement of ABS pump motor assembly at this time. Customer has been advised this is a safety concern and a priority for repair. Estimated repair cost $600, includes $350 for used ABS pump motor with 90 day warranty. [Note: I declined this service for now because the total amount for the day would have been 3 or 4 times what I had been mentally prepared to pay at this time. Even though I have a little cash to spare I am no Rockefeller! But I would like to have that leak fixed before long if I intend to keep the car. I have to add a small bottle of brake fluid about once every 5 weeks.]

$ 180.00 Replaced front disc brake rotors and pads, cleaned all hardware, lubricated caliper slides, retorqued wheels and road tested vehicle.

$ 180.00 Replaced rear disc brake rotors and pads, cleaned all hardware, lubricated caliper slides, retorqued wheels and road tested vehicle.

$ 0.00 Reset service reminder light.

.........TOTAL COST

$ 471.80 Total Parts
$ 360.00 Total labor (aprox 4.25 hrs)
$ 2.00 Haz waste
$ 79.21 Tax
$ 913.01 TOTAL

Thanks again for any input. Or, maybe at least I entertained someone?? lol

-squig

Last edited by Squiggy; 08-06-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to me it sounds reasonable.
fyi, after i got my 850, i spent the same amount again on fixing little things on the car.
So 9,000 for the car, and almost the same again on maintinence and repairs.

At least i know it's right now.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM

That all passes my sanity check...

When I had the rear brakes done on my Subaru (which now has 175K miles), it was around $350 with a rotor replacement. This is a bit higher but not unusually so.

I look at brakes as being a maintenance item...you have to have them serviced/replaced on any car. I don't see those kind of repairs factoring into a "fix it or dump it" situation.

What is the current wisdom regarding what to do with rotors? Does it make sense to have them "turned" if you don't notice any pulsating or shaking when you brake?

Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eeeehhh. I don't know, maybe since it was done at a shop that's why it's 900 dollars, but DAMN, that's a lot of money for brakes, especially when I personally think brakes are one of the easiest jobs to do on an 850.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

If the parts they used were volvo parts, that seems right. If they were aftermarket rotors and whatever pads, then it is a little high. The parts anyway.

As for the labor, that is about right.

My 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:33 AM

That is about in line with repair costs around where I live. My advice would be try to find a spot where you can work on your car. I personally just did new rotors and pads all the way around and new front brake lines (and all of the wheel torquing LOL) for about $275.

The good news is that you may not have to worry about pads and rotors again.

You didnt get hosed, but you can save a significant amount of money if you can find a spot to work on your car. If your afternoon is worth more than $360 in labor though, no big deal.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Brakes all the way around at a Dealer - Price is about right. Aftermarket would be cheaper but if you can find good deals with OEM parts - I believe that is always a plus. For spending money on an older car - you don't wanna know what I spent on my 92 Festiva. Its all about liking a car and wanting to keep it on the Road for the pleasure of driving it.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Partly it depends on where you live and the hourly rates for labor. I purchased 4 new Brembo OEM rotors, front and rear Akebono Euro pads, and a tube of grease from www.fcpgroton for just over $300. I had a local shop install the above and was charged a total of $180 labor, equating to $45 a wheel. So my total was approximately $480. Yours does sound high but again labor rates might be higher where you are located.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM

Price is in the right range for a shop. Personally I will DIY or have OEM parts and ask handyman to do it for $25 a pair (pads only).

Old 08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Where was I when you needed this work done. I could have used the $$$. Doesn't sound like a rip off to me, just sounds like dealer prices.

When I have an old beater, I just do pads, forget the rest. If the rotors are not worped to the point that they bother me, why replace them on an old TOWN CAR (A car that is only driven around town).

I would have gotten the leak fixed 1st. Please get the leak fixed and next time only do the pads. I don't want you rear ending me when that leaks turns into an accident.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Brakes are definitely one of the easiest jobs to perform, but you do need a jack and some simple tools. Less than 1 hundred bucks for 4 pads and if you need to resurface your rotors, machine shop will do each rotor for like, 20 bucks. Easy job, try it yourself next time.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Very high price, but what you would expect to pay from a well respected shop that specializes in Volvos. Personally I would never pay any where near that much for brakes thoughs.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments. I guess my lack of knowledge cost me. I don't mind paying good money for labor, but I hate paying for parts that I don't really need. I'm thinking my rotors were probably worn but really did not need to be replaced. I remember rubbing my index finger across the rotors several weeks ago. I felt (and saw) ridges but I do not remember them being all that deep. Oh well. I will be better prepared to ask questions and do a little extra homework before I take my car in to a shop next time.

As far as fixing that brake fluid leak... yes, I do hope to do that within the next two weeks and don't plan on driving much until then so no worries about me rear ending you!

-squiggy

Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

I would have replaced the rotors too. You should never turn them. My basic rule of thumb is I replace the rotors every other brake pad change unless the need it when I change the pads. I use Brembo rotors and believe they were around $50 each the last time I changed them.

I just did some price checking and it looks like the shop charges around $85 an hour and has about a 50% markup on parts. The shop I use occassionally will not use parts that I buy and bring in. Basically they want that markup on the parts. I figure all four wheels with new rotors and pads would cost me about $300 doing the work myself.

Last edited by JimKW; 08-09-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 AM

I did pads &rotors all around with parts from the dealer. it set me back 290+tx then I did the work myself and it takes max 2 hrs to do the job, but I know most mecanics charge 1 hr /wheel. like the others say, doing these simple jobs your self will save you a lot of money. also as you can see,if ever you have questions on how to do the job there's always someone online...

Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

I taught my youngest daughter (now 25) to do it. She said she could do it, but you get too dirty and didn't like how messy it was, so she married a mechanic. I watched him do brakes one time and could not believe how fast he did them, probably about 20 minutes per wheel.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

That is fast. I'm a slow worker so it would likely take me 45 mins per wheel.

When it comes to the cost of keeping the car in good shape I compare it to the average cost of car payments. Something like $550 per month. So, if I spend $900 and don't have to spend any more for 6+ months, I would feel ahead of the game.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 AM

$900 is not that bad. You cant resurface these rotors. Next time, ask for the measurements on the brakes or even ask for the brakes back. Then you can have them meausered so you can verify that the rotors are below spec.