Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

1997 850 axle replacement CIRCLIP question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 850 axle replacement CIRCLIP question

Hi there, I just purchased a driver side front axle replacement. I have a blown out wheel bearing and boot or it may be called the cv joint at the wheel end of the axle. Anyhow, I'm replacing the whole axle as suggested and as shown here in pic 1.

I cannot find any reference to the circlip removal at the transmission end of the shaft (shown in pic 2). I've checked the forum, my manual, and youtube. There's no reference to the removal of it.

Manual states to make sure it's fastened but nothing about removal. I have not delved into the car yet and my question is:
Is this circlip easily accessible from underneath the car?

Thank you very much in advance.

Anna

Attached Thumbnails 1997 850 axle replacement CIRCLIP question-photo-1.jpg   1997 850 axle replacement CIRCLIP question-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by anna850; 05-30-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the circlip stays on the shaft all the time. While the axle shaft is inside the tranny, the clip opens just enough to prevent the axle from coming out. There is no access while it's inside. There are different ways of removing the axle. In this video you would get an idea on how it's done. This guy is not working on a Volvo, but it's the same principle.

I suggest getting the car lifted as high as you can safely and securely on jack stands, not on a floor jack only.

If your handy, your going to save a couple hundred dollars of shop labor.

Hope this helps
Let us know how you make out

Old 05-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

His looks pretty good. If you just have to have a Volvo:

The only difference I saw on the other video is that to remove the joint with the "C" clip on it I use two large screwdrivers or medium pry bars and try to get them as close to opposite each other as I can. Remember you are prying against an aluminum transmission case so you want to be careful. I've done a lot of them and never damaged a case buy once in a while you can have a axle that just doesn't want to release and there is a tool for that you can loan from most auto parts stores.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 850 axle replacement CIRCLIP question-cv-axle-puller-slide-hammer.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM

Wow louiebay, you answered a lot of questions for me in this video. Thank you so so much. I am attacking it this weekend with a friend. We're pretty handy. And yes, I'll let you know how things work out. You're awesome!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Kiss4aFrog Thank you.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by louiebay
the circlip stays on the shaft all the time. While the axle shaft is inside the tranny, the clip opens just enough to prevent the axle from coming out. There is no access while it's inside. There are different ways of removing the axle. In this video you would get an idea on how it's done. This guy is not working on a Volvo, but it's the same principle.

How to: Replace a CV Axle - YouTube

I suggest getting the car lifted as high as you can safely and securely on jack stands, not on a floor jack only.

If your handy, your going to save a couple hundred dollars of shop labor.

Hope this helps
Let us know how you make out
Well here it is louiebay, you asked to let you know how things worked out.

Bottom line is: I'm back on the road with a quiet ride.

Releasing the spindle from the steering knuckle was quite the task. Once out I realized my bearing hub was shot. Had to wait a day to get it. Removal was difficult due to stripped star hub bolt. Had to remove stearing knuckle and grind one bolt head off. Had to wait another day to locate and get new bolts. Got those today and all went well after that.

Total cost $158.00

Glad I did it and learned a lot.

Thank you and everyone else for your help.

Last edited by anna850; 06-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Think what you would have been charged at a garage ?

Glad you gave it a shot, happy motoring

Old 06-04-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Anna great job. Good to hear you got it going. Here in CT most shops charge $90 an hour for labor. That would of been an easy $500 job for them.

It sucks when something like your star hub bolt stripping. Like everything on older cars, stuff like that happens all the time. It was an unforeseen delay, knowing everything is new now gives piece of mind and rules out any other issues to that side of the car.

Happy for you,

take care

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 06-05-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: language