Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 AWD,RPM issue when driving,antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 AWD,RPM issue when driving,antifreeze leak

hi guys,lately i have been having a issue with my engine. i have got the head gasket replaced and resurfaced the head,recently. i'm in the 306,000Km mark. here is the issue.

when i am driving, and put power to the engine,not punching it, but constant pressure on the gas pedal,the rpm jumps 1500 rpm then comes back down to where it should be.and sometimes does this a couple times, it does this around the 3000 rpm range when i am about to changing gears or after i have changed gears.it starts after i am in second gear and shifting up. but it also does this when i am in 5th gear. so there is a constant high low rpm change.

i tried to make a video last night,but it was raining and all you heard was the windshield wipers.

hope what i explained makes sense. i am assuming its the throttle cable, but could it be my turbo? (LPT).

the other issue is i am having a antifreeze leak somewhere,it usually takes about a month before i notice the resovoiur is empty/getting there, or the radiator light comes on. been doing that for 3-4 months now,but i can't find it. there is no puddling under the car, and do not see any anti freeze sitting in any part of the engine compartment, and i do not see any cracks in the hoses. i have replaced the radiator last year, so it is maybe 8 months old. and i park in the same spot and it is relatively flat and have not had any issues in the past.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:16 PM

Not sure about the RPM issue but the antifreeze issue could be the "nipple" on the reservoir for the rubber return line, pull the line off and I bet money the nipple is cracked and leaks when the engine reaches temp for the heated antifreeze to return to the reservoir.....

Either that or the seal on the reservoir cap...

Old 04-04-2014, 03:53 PM

thanks i will check that out, so if that is the case that means i need a new reservoir...... and i bet they come with a new cap..... i just replaced the old one because it was cracked.damn!!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM

Ya, do the auto wrecker thing and find a decent reservoir if the nipple is suspect....

I thought again about your RPM issue, I had a problem not long ago where my throttle actually stuck open when I booted it, turned out to be a pooched cruise control system.... at your gas pedal there is a small linkage for the cruise control vacuum booster, disconnect that and see if there is any change to your issue...

Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeawd850

when i am driving, and put power to the engine,not punching it, but constant pressure on the gas pedal,the rpm jumps 1500 rpm then comes back down to where it should be.and sometimes does this a couple times, it does this around the 3000 rpm range when i am about to changing gears or after i have changed gears.it starts after i am in second gear and shifting up. but it also does this when i am in 5th gear. so there is a constant high low rpm change.
I don't understand what you wrote??? Is the car manual trans? Does the RPM drop from 3,000 to 1,500?

As for the coolant leak, my guess would be that you will find the coolant under the carpet on the drivers side of the carpet. Pull the carpet back near the gas pedal and see if the padding is getting wet from the heater core.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:04 AM

I will check out the carpet In The morning.

As for the rpm issue it's manual trans. And I shift at 3000 as I am getting to 3000 it decides it wants to jump up 1500 rpm. So it goes from 3000 to 4000/4500 and then goes back down.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:50 PM

Ok,reservoir tank is fine. It's not the return line or the feed line or their appropriate nipples, where the hoses attach.

Under the driver side carpet, there is an oily substance there, but nothing definitive to say its anti freeze,no green colour or smell of anti freeze. but the carpet has some dampness to it.

You guys have any other recommendations? I have had the head machined a month a go and a new head gasket out in. Could there just be a crack in my block and anti freeze is getting into the engine? Could that also be the cause of the jump in rpm when putting power to the engine? But I do not have any burning smells coming from the car or anti freeze puddles under the car when it's hot or cold, a few drips here and there but nothing concentrated.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the carpet is damp, and oily chances are your heater core is leaking. Do you get a sweet or oily smell when you turn on the heat?

Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Not that I have noticed. But I will crank the heat,The next time I am at the car. and see what smells pop up.

No one has any idea on what is going on about the rpm?

Old 04-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Does the RPM "hunt" while cruising or does it only do it while shifting?

You need to replace that heater core before you blow another head gasket.

I doubt you have any motor issue. You would be mixing fluids somewhere or blowing a hose. Also tossing misfire codes.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM

if you mean "hunt" like it in what i am explaining when i am driving then no....... but it does not stay on the exact speed when i engage the cruise control,maybe a couple KM's lower then when i first engaged it, but it does stay on the speed, and no flunctuations in the RPM. but it has always done that. i have had the car for 4 years now.

heater core has been ordered,with silicone o rings from IPD, should be able to put it in on wends.

well for the first time i have taken it to the volvo shop to reset a tracs light, i replaced the ABS Module. but they reset all the codes from that, and they did not mention anything else,but i did say yes for them to call me in, when they get a part in for the seat heaters, apparently there was a recall when the car first came out, and it is just a set of zap straps of some sort to bundle up the harness better.i will get them to use their scanner again for any other error codes.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 AM

And a quick edit on my Previous post, the cruise control is working fine. No dropping of speed, no increase in speed, stays where I tell it to, no rpm funny business.

Last edited by mikeawd850; 04-10-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:32 AM

The rpm issue was from the clutch slipping.