Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Cooling Fan Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 850 Cooling Fan Won't Start

Hey now,

Had a laptop crash and it's taken a little while to get it up and running so sorry for the delay in responce time.

I'll have to check again today and I'll post what I find. Hoping to resolve this and the fan issue ASAP as the weather is getting nice here and I want to be able to use the A/C and not blow another engine [:@]as I'm not made of money and don't really want to have to get a second job just to drive the Anvil.

Back in a little while with, hopefully, some good news.

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Hey now,

My fan relay does work as it clicks when I put the probe to it and the fan turns.

I have changed the temp. sensor and I still have no working fan.

This is becoming[:@] frustrating as I have power where I'm supposed to but can't seem to get the fan running when it's supposed to.

Anyone????

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14053/57D7EE567BCC4F0B886F74E2AD0987F5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Must be a wiring issue then or a bad temp sensor.
And maybe the A/C highpressure switch as well to make it run with the A/C on.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Hey now Tech,

I have a finally have a wiring diagram and I'm going tofollow the connection points and break out the meter and test light to see where the signal ends and where the power to the fan stops. Gotta have the A/C working this summer [sm=icon_sneaky.gif]

I'll go back to pulling and clearing codes in the morning, currently I'm having a[sm=icon_guiness.gif]so there's no point now. Besides, it's full dark out and that's never any fun.[sm=smiley36.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is reviving a long-inactive thread, but in my effort to "search before posting" I found this thread that exactly describes what my 850 (96 and non-turbo) is doing. The fan will not turn on at all. I wondered how he finally resolved this problem or if anyone knows a way to bench test the relay and the coolant temperature sensor before just throwing parts at it. Thanks in advance for any advice/experiences!

Tracy

Old 05-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Administrator

If you take a test light and probe one of the small wires in the middle plug the fan should come on. One wire is low fan speed the other wire is high fan speed. When the wire is grounded it activates the relay.

Try that and make sure that is all good.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Thank you. I will start with that (and the checking fuses that I did not think of before - DUH) when I get home from my two 24-hour jobs Tuesday morning (unless she has taken it to school - as it does ok for a trip straight there with the AC off and I have strongly emphasized the need to watch the gauge and check/fill when cold).

And you are saying attach the clip end of the test light to a ground right? Thanks again,

Tracy

Old 05-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Yes have the clip hooked up to ground.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

I know I am asking a lot, but I thought the more I can find out now (before actually doing this tomorrow), the more I can get done tomorrow as far as diagnosing this and not having to post/wait/ask tomorrow.

I understand the test light probe of the wires (once I have confirmed fuses ok) to tell me that the "fan/motor" is operable, right? What if the relay is bad? I would be bypassing the relay during the above procedure, correct? If the fan works, how can I tell whether it is the relay or the coolant temperature sensor that is bad? Is there a way to test the relay (continuity or something)? Again, sorry for all the questions, but I would rather not replace anything that is ok and can see that there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

Thanks,

Tracy

Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Administrator

That method is to test the relay and fan. When you ground either one of the wires it activates the relay and turns the fan on.

So it all is good there then you need to look at the ECT and ECU.
The ECT sends signal to the ECU and the ECU turns the fan on.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by tech
That method is to test the relay and fan. When you ground either one of the wires it activates the relay and turns the fan on.

So it all is good there then you need to look at the ECT and ECU.
The ECT sends signal to the ECU and the ECU turns the fan on.
Thanks! But what if that does not work --- how will I know if it is the fan or the relay? Or would that mean both are faulty? Sorry for the numerous questions --- but I will be doing this first thing in the AM and want to try and get her back on the road. Thanks again!

Last edited by ycartf; 05-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Administrator

If that does not work try to get a second test light and check for power at the fan wires.
If you have power at the relay and fan and it is not working the fan is bad.
If no power at fan wires when you jump the relay then the relay is bad.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 PM

COOL. Now that you say that, it makes perfect sense. Thanks so much! Now I just have to get a test light as I have always used my multimeter for stuff similar to this.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks tech, your method of checking those components worked perfectly! I now know that my fan is fried.

I had to modify the procedure just a bit because the test lights I bought don't have sharp enough probes to penetrate the middle wire (as small as it is I was sliding off and sticking myself). I started to disconnect the middle connection for better access (I was considering cutting a small part of the insulation off carefully) and the housing of it came off partway with the wires still attached and the connection housing sliding off of them. That was not my intention, but it did make it very easy to touch the test light probe to the wires (or round spades at the end of the wires) which were still attached to the relay. When I touched either of them there was a small click, which made me feel sure the relay was working. I went ahead and also used the other test light. Rather than penetrating the wires going to the fan, I disconnected the connection for it and touched either male terminal of it (inside relay portion of the connection). What I found was that when I grounded the middle connection wires with the first test light, the corresponding terminal on the fan power connection (red and green wires) would light up my other test light (touching right on both or left on both lit the test light). So now I know that my relay is getting power and sending it on to the fan as it should, and that it is definitely my fan that is fried. I am ordering a new one now.

Thanks so much for your advice and assistance. They were invaluable.

Tracy

Old 05-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Glad you figured it out!

Old 12-22-2021, 11:24 PM
Default fan won't start

hi guys, new here. I have a 97 850 T5, and not until recently the fan stopped working and I've checked everything I can think of and nothing, can you guys please give me some ideas of where else to look, I really need my car running.

thanks

Old 12-22-2021, 11:41 PM

hi, what button are you guys talking about? I'm trying to get my car back on the road ASAP. thanks in advance