Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 r?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 850r boost issues.

im a supra guy so bare with me.my friend just got a grey with grey rim 850 20v r type. autometer boost gauge, samco hoses, bov, an i believe a chip or wastegate spring. it has no codes but will no spool past 0 psi unless the winter button is pressed which show a orange arrow on the dash. when the orange arrow is there the transmission slips like its goes to brake boost or something. it goes to about 15 or so psi and gets breakup or fuel cut idk. it seems to spool when it want too and sometime it just goes all motor when pulling. the tracs and sport/ econ seem to do nothing.

so far i have changed the brakes, rotated the tires, 5w-30 penzzoil synthetic with a wix filter, air filter, trans fluid, and coolant for him. i will be changing the plugs with champion platinums (prefer ngk but couldent find). i couldent find any boost leaks and the bov is working properly. it had a transmission gear indicator code but i cleared it with a scanner. also when you start the car the ignition has to be pulled to one side for the headlights, trans shift lock and blinker to work.

any idea whats the problem is??

Last edited by Mecevans; 07-23-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boost controller? waste gate actuater?

Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM

theres no boost controler. when i drove it last night i was hitting fuel cut sooner probably since it was colder out.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM

ok econ and sport light up. in sport if i hit the throttle like 50% and hold it for a couple seconds then go full it will spool but its kind of tricky to modulate the throttle right.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where about's do you guys live? There are a lot of good go to guys here, and on Volvospeed that may be able to give you two a hand in person.
I can't think of what the problem might be, but what was the code that came up for the "transmission gear indicator"? I wonder if that might have something to do with the PNP switch....

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the waste gate hose broke?
Any of the vacuum or intercooler hoses broke/torn?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Monterey. no broken hoses. it will boost to 15 if you roll into it, only to 0-2 when stomping or cruising. it also feels like it click when to push it to the floor.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe try removing the ECU one night overnight and see what happens the next morning after installing it.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 AM

the gear indicator light came on again. Do the contacts on the gear shifter for an automatic get dirty and need to be cleaned? i unplugged the ecu for the night, so well see what happens. hes looking into getting an obx exhaust. scine it seems to be hitting fuel cut now will this cause a problem?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 AM

whats the mileage on the car?
look inside the piping is the turbo seeping oil

Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 AM

150k or something. Do these cars have fuel cut? does the intercooler have a drain? whats the best way to clean it all out?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM

I found out my gear shift lock problem was in the ignition switch. The ignition switch, as you know, has lots of contacts in it, one being the gear shift lock solenoid. When starting my car, the ignition switch is supposed to spring back (turn counter-clocwise) a minute distance to regular ignition position. If it does not, the shift lock will not be released. Try starting your car, then turn the key back ever so little-not enough to kill engine- and your shift should be unlocked. Haven't had the time; however, I plan to squirt some electric contact parts cleaner into the lock, blow clean, and then perhaps a little shot of silicon spray to see if ignition will spring back to igntion only on its own. Am hoping it's just some dirt causing it not to.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rosew6211
I found out my gear shift lock problem was in the ignition switch. The ignition switch, as you know, has lots of contacts in it, one being the gear shift lock solenoid. When starting my car, the ignition switch is supposed to spring back (turn counter-clocwise) a minute distance to regular ignition position. If it does not, the shift lock will not be released. Try starting your car, then turn the key back ever so little-not enough to kill engine- and your shift should be unlocked. Haven't had the time; however, I plan to squirt some electric contact parts cleaner into the lock, blow clean, and then perhaps a little shot of silicon spray to see if ignition will spring back to igntion only on its own. Am hoping it's just some dirt causing it not to.
he has this problem. its not a big deal though, but it sonds like the actual shift lever posision sensor not the gear shift lock.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 PM

i found a cracked hose and it seemed to have little effect when replacing it.
i am leaning to a broken wastegate spring. if unplug the wastegate hose it boost like it should, nice and linear. it goes to about 12-13 psi and does not hit fuel cut or overboost. boost still falls off between shift's to about 8psi.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 PM

The BCV is fubar!!! the previous owner had them all wrong. i believe he switched the wastegate hose from the vent hose to get more boost. i capped the vent and installed a homemade MBC that was on my supra for awhile. Boost comes on super quick. Its hard to stay out of boost now with it set at 13 psi.

https://volvoforums.com/forum/attach...7&d=1267663784
if i buy a new bcv and put inline with the MBC what results will i get?