Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Trans light flashing...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Trans light flashing...

I have a 1995 850 with transmission problems.

It started happening when it got really cold....

The transmission warning light is flashing and it revs to about 3000 rpm before the car moves. It did the same thing last winter a ew times, NEVER during summer months, and now again when it turned cold.

Any ideas?

Perry

p.s. the ATF definitely needs to be changed.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 850 Trans light flashing...

Well I'd start by pulling the codes. 95 was a split year for OBDII vs the diag box so you'll have to check which one you have. I would also get your fluid replaced. These trannys are sensitive to bad fluid or improper level so that might have something to do with your problem.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is a link to learn how to pull the codes.
http://www.troublecodes.net/Volvo/

Old 12-05-2006, 12:16 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mr. Komick,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

In addition to Mr. info2x, I believe your 850 has OBD-II, because my 850 is 1994 and it has one. Take off the coin holder in front of the shifter and if there is an electrical socket, that's the receptacle for OBD-II scanner. Also, in the engine compartment (around the right strut tower I believe) there may be a sticker stating that your car is certified for OBD-II.

Is the check engine light on? I had the same problem the other day and mine turned the CEL as well. Tranny-related codes cannot be cleared without connecting a scanner and pressing "ERASE" button on the scanner. The diagnostic terminal will not give you codes for transmission-related problems, as far as I know (could be wrong). In my case, it only appeared on the scanner.

As Mr. info2x states, the tranny on 850 is over-engineered and even a negligible fault renders it useless. When the arrow flashes, the tranny is in "limp" mode, enough to get you home but the performance is much degraded. To make it easier, try shifting manually and you get better response from the tranny. In limp mode, as well as in Winter mode, the tranny is probably starting in the 2nd gear, so the engine revs but the car moves really slowly until it gains enough speed.

Yes, do change the fluid and maintain correct level. My problem seems to have been low fluid level, as little as a half quart!

Good luck,

JPN

Old 12-05-2006, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I do a filter change or just a drain and refill????

I have read the filter is inside and not accessible.

And THANKS for helping a new guy. I really appreciate it.

I will keep you posted.

Perry

Old 12-05-2006, 06:45 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again Mr. Komick,

The tranny fluid filter is usually shaped like a thin plate and is not a regular replacement item. I am not sure if 850 has one, but I believe it does. If you're concerned and plan to keep the car for longer than a year, yes replacing might not be a bad idea, as automatic tranny is a complex piece of machine and can be affected with the tiniest piece of foreign object.

Should you decide to do it, I would go to a Volvo dealer rather than a generic garage. The reason is that each mfg designs tranny differently (though basic principle should be similar) and generic town garages might not be familiar with specific procedures and they may not use high-quality genuine OEM filter. I know dealers charge as much as 50% or more than town garages, but often the additional cost is worth it in the long run. If you can't afford a dealer's estimate, it would be ideal if you can find a shop that specializes Swedish (Volvo & Saab) or European cars only.

I too, was helped by Moderator Mr. Tech and other experts when I was new (still new though), so I try to help others as much as I can. People on this forum are really familiar with Volvo's, so I also appreciate when someone helps me.

Anyway, please keep us posted and wish you luck in your tranny.

Sincerely,

JPN

Old 12-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is no replacable filter on the 850 transmission.

You could do a drain and refill a couple of times then you will have all new fluid.