Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 Turbo really sluggish to start, sometimes won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 Turbo really sluggish to start, sometimes won't start....

Hi,
I have a '95 Volvo 850 Turbo that had difficulty starting a few months ago.
When you turned the key, sometimes there would be nothing, then a second or two later the engine would very slowly start turning over and after a few seconds ...start up. Then idle down and die.
I replaced the battery, ignition wires / distributor, and cleaned out the Idle Air Control valve (which was really dirty and gummed up). Car worked perfectly after this!! Success!
Now three months later it's doing the same thing.
I cleaned out the IAC valve and that didn't help. When you get in the car all the dashboard lights light up etc and seems like there's good power from the battery?
Also, once I do get it started, if I go on a short ride it's really hard to start, or won't start at all. Then if I wait about a half hour it usually will eventually start.

Any suggestions as to what to look at?

Thank you,
Alan.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

are you seeing the starter crank at a normal speed or is it now cranking slowly as if the battery is weak? or does it crank at a normal speed but doesn't catch? First thing to rule out is the battery - try starting with a jump. If its the same then you may have a cable issue - battery to ground, battery to starter or perhaps a starter issue. Also if you have a VOM, test the battery voltage - should read 12.5 or so. with the car idling the voltage at the battery should go 14V- 14.5V or so and should not go below 13 when there is a full load (ie headlights, heater blower, rear defrost etc are large loads for the alternator). If you notice any wiring getting hot, or has insulation damage, that's a sign of a bad connection (corrosion/mechanical breakage etc).

Old 06-06-2015, 09:30 AM

Thanks mt,
I did try jump starting it and it wouldn't start.
BUT I went back (car was in a parking lot) about 10 hrs later and it started on it's own. After I turned the key there was nothing...then a second or two, began to turn over really slowly, and then after a second or two it was turning over normally....started up and runs fine!
If this is relevant...once started it runs fine, no stalling at red lights, no need to rev the engine etc. even after the first sluggish start the idle is immediately normal.
The pattern seems to be that once you drive any distance, especially a 5 -10 min (short) trip, the car doesn't want to turn over and start. After it sits for a while....30 mins or longer it WILL start up....?
I don't think it's the battery, what do you think?
Thanks again,
Alan.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like an issue I had with an old Chevy. The starter would get warm as the car was run, and as long as the motor was hot it woulod not start. Let the motor cool (and hence the starter too) and it would start ok. Ended up relacing the starter and battery cable to the starter and that fixed it. I would look into a new starter.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Psaboic
Sounds like an issue I had with an old Chevy. The starter would get warm as the car was run, and as long as the motor was hot it woulod not start. Let the motor cool (and hence the starter too) and it would start ok. Ended up relacing the starter and battery cable to the starter and that fixed it. I would look into a new starter.
Thanks,
Is there a way to test the starter?
I think it's a big involved project to replace the starter on the 850 Turbo...?
Thanks,
Alan.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I'd 2nd what Psaboic noted. If the jump start doesn't change anything, I'd suspect the starter (or the cable from the battery to the starter).

Old 06-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ashort
Thanks,
Is there a way to test the starter?
I think it's a big involved project to replace the starter on the 850 Turbo...?
Thanks,
Alan.
THe only possible way I could think of is to chck the current draw with a volt/ohm meter. Do it when the car is cold and it starts easy and note how much current is drawn by the starter. Then try it again after the car is hot and the starter is acting up. IF the increase in curent draw is fairly significant the starter is the culprit. Yes, replacing the starter on the 850 is fairly ivolved and requires removing the intake manifold, but while you are in there you can clean the PCV system and kill two birds with one stone.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM

I decided to take it in to a shop near my house where I know the guys; I just don't have the know how to pull everything apart to get into the engine to access the starter...! I told them I thought it was the starter, and they checked the battery and cables and then put a new starter in for me and now it's running great!
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, appreciate it!
Alan.