Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850 turbo stalling after many new 103 relays

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850 turbo stalling after many new 103 relays

Hey guys. So I had stalling issues a couple years back but i solved it with a new 103 pink relay and have since found more from newer S/V70's and kept as spares. Since this new stalling issue has occurred I've tried other scavenged pink 103 relays and still car stalls.

Now my 94 turbo 850 with a 16t had a complete tune up last year; so less than 25,000 kilometers ago. So new cap, rotor, fuel filter, plugs, wires etc. all oem bosch/volvo.

So now my cars stalls when i shift the auto into gear, under acceleration, under deceleration and starts immediately after and goes again, sometimes stalling again in 30seconds sometimes not at all, or for hours/ a day.

now when driving sometimes the car sputters and drops rpm's only to catch itself and speed up, i have not punched it in a while as it usually sputters.

I do not have a fuel pressure tester. However I believe it to be a Fuel pump issue so I bought a Walbro high perf 255L fuel pump and it will arrive tomorrow. Now does this seem to be a fuel loss issue, as I think so.

Please if anyone has any advice or knows why my 850 is stalling PLLLLEEEEASE help, I love my volvo but none of my mom's or boyfriends 00' XC70 or 97' 850 glt do this so I am at a loss and have noo idea what to do.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Brand new walbro 255 L/H fuel pump put into day, run amazing for an hour then stall, then again then a good run.

Why So sick of guessing, any ideas, boys? please, thanks!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsodatrini
Brand new walbro 255 L/H fuel pump put into day, run amazing for an hour then stall, then again then a good run.

Why So sick of guessing, any ideas, boys? please, thanks!
Then stop guessing and diagnose the problem instead shot-gunning it! A fuel pressure gauge probably cost less than the new fuel pump you put in...

Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 AM

lol I did use do fuel pressure test, should have mentioned it.

I have fuel at the rail, and I haven't been able to test it after a stall as its usually right in traffic never somewhere convenient.

I've taken it in, and Volvo Mechanic can't find the issue so far.

Read many things on cam sensor, maf, all the way to clogged fuel filters.

The fuel pump relays are new.

Has anyone gone through these headaches and solved it for their car?

Thank you for your time and responses.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Bad MAF? Pull the MAF cable and see what happens. Maybe give it a good cleaning.

Also, check your catalytic converter by gently hitting it with a soft mallet. If you hear parts rattling around, it’s failing and the chunks are blocking the exhaust, causing too much backpressure. you'll need a new one.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kelsodatrini
lol I did use do fuel pressure test, should have mentioned it.

I have fuel at the rail, and I haven't been able to test it after a stall as its usually right in traffic never somewhere convenient.

I've taken it in, and Volvo Mechanic can't find the issue so far.

Read many things on cam sensor, maf, all the way to clogged fuel filters.

The fuel pump relays are new.
OK, this additional info is helpful. Sorry for the vent; I sometimes get frustrated when I think folks are just throwing parts at a problem, hoping, wishing, and praying that something they do might fix it....

Like vjaneczko said, could be the MAF sensor; did your volvo tech try that when you took it in?

What I would do is get a fuel pressure gauge with a long enough hose on it so you could drive with it taped to your windshield; i.e. so you could read it while you're driving. Then note what your fuel pressure does when it stalls.

Didn't see any mention of CEL; is it on? Did you ck for any DTCs?