Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850R alarm system Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 850R alarm system Problem

I just became a volvo owner. Traded my 63 VW beetle for a 96 vovlo 850R. Anyway, I was unfamiliar with the alarm system (even though there are two buttons and its not brain surgery). I held the lock/panic button too long and the alarm went of.
Instead of a horn honking, I got what seemed like a 90 year old man with breathing problems, trying to laugh. Litterally sounded terrible. Do I need to address a new OEM alarm system or replace the horn? (FYI, regular horn works fine, I guess their not one in the same)

side note that may not be relivant to the alarm system. I got back in the car 10 minutes later and started it up. The ABS and Trac OFF lights were on and wouldn't go off. Restarted the car and then they did.

Now the check engine light is on. Mechanic replaced an O2 sensor.

Accidentally setting off the alarm apparently broke my freakin car. Any advice would be very helpful in a very cost(less) fashion.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the horn problem just tighten the nut on the horn until you like the sound - it is mounted on the firewall next to the master cylinder.

Most of the alarm horns gave up the ghost a long time ago but if yours is making any noise at all it is easily repairable.

...Lee

Old 10-25-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$#@^%

Last edited by 058ovlov; 03-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#@%$&

Last edited by 058ovlov; 03-11-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM

Thanks every one for the responses. It looks like I have a few things to check and/or tighten.
In addition to the story. I found a Volvo shop. They guy seemed nice but he was going to charge me $50 to reset the codes. The O2 sensor was replaced AFTER the CEL came on. I will have to call him and see what he used.
I've thought about going to AutoZone and buying the device so that I can reset/check my own codes. The cheapest one was $60. I might just do that so I can spare myself the agony of a 90 buck labor charge.

Updates are to come with my progression. I gotta build a storage cabinet first.

Thanks again!!!! Volvo family is easier to understand than the VW family.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Default update

thanks everyone for the responses. I found out that the O2 sensor was OEM. Awesome.
I fixed the alarm system horn. the front bolt was loose. I just hand tightened it. No problems now.
As far as the Trac and ABS lights. They turn off now and I haven't had them stay on again.
Not to say that its fixed but its not giving me problems anymore. I will still have the board pulled out to have the solders checked anyway.

PLEASE see my other post about a howling noise, and respond if you've ever experienced that.

my car sounds like a charter plane at 40+ mph.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM

As for the ABS/Tracs light....

It could be a couple things...

1. Could be the electrical part of the ignition switch going.. If your lights are giving you trouble or your tach doesnt work at the same time, jiggle the key if that works there is one of your problems.

2. Ive heard of a loose connection in the distribution block under the drivers side dash... this is less common and I have never seen this confirmed in the US... only heard of this in the UK..

3. and MOST LIKELY... ABS Module is starting to go (VERY COMMON!), You will notice your speedo may stop working.. The two are one in the same.
DO NOT... I REPEAT DO NOT buy a new one!! Visit Matty Moo and he will take care of you... Here--->https://www.midwest-abs.com/ABS_Modules.php
Very Easy FIX!!!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Messing with your alarm is not going to effect your ABS. Try not to link problems together, it'll drive you crazy.

Look in the DIY thread and read up on Noob Info. You'll feel educated.