Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850r for sale 1996

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850r for sale 1996

I a 850r I am selling hate to get rid of it but have to due to the economy. Asking 2700 oboe. Please call Jeff at 219-252_2628. Or. 2172181424
will send pics when Called

Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no mileage? upload pics before they can make a decision. not to sound mean but who makes a decision to buy something without seeing how it looks first?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 PM

Nevermind that is posted in the wrong section..

Besides the rate R's are going for in the last couple weeks youll never get $2700..

Ive seen 3 sell in the last week all for $1500 and under

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
Besides the rate R's are going for in the last couple weeks youll never get $2700..
All depends on mileage and condition; a pristine low mileage R around these parts could get 2x that or more easily.

Plus i've noticed these cars are cheaper in FL. What's up w/that? You guys have a glut of them or what? I saw one on AutoTrader recently that almost tempted me to fly to miami for and drive it home..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM

The ones Ive seen sell for that low are all in the north east. CT and MA mostly..

Which ones are you talking about down here The red R? I looked at that, them motor is in bad shape, low miles but a spun bearing

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 AM

Don't remember; was at least a week or two ago.

Besides when I say "these cars" I wasn't necessarily referring to just R models. I'm looking for a clean low mileage (if possible) 850 turbo wagon; preferably a HPT but might be interested in LPT too. Also looking at '98 V70s.

So tell me something; are all the R models AWD? Seems like '98 and later, yes, but not sure about the 850 Rs; was it an option on the 850R?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

None of the US 850's are AWD, not even the R's.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM

Most of the 99 and Up V70R's are AWD...

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by rspi
None of the US 850's are AWD, not even the R's.
I was gonna say....

Never heard of an AWD 850.

I think the reason that Volvos sell so cheaply is because of the impression that they're expensive/difficult to work on. Any general mechanic could add $10 of tools to his set (Torx screw drivers) and have enough to work on a Volvo.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by grndslm
I think the reason that Volvos sell so cheaply is because of the impression that they're expensive/difficult to work on. Any general mechanic could add $10 of tools to his set (Torx screw drivers) and have enough to work on a Volvo.
If all you need is a set of Torx screw drivers either you have a ton of tools (literally and you should have needed torx a long time ago) or you believe a Vise Grip and a gator grip socket are all you need.

Torx sockets are a standard fastener on most cars since back in the ninties and were used on domestic vehicle brake calipers even earlier but it is true a Volvo seems to have more of them.
Some of the parts for my car I can't even get locally and although some are reasonable there are things like the PCV system that for less than three bucks I can get one for my Thunderbird but the kit for a Volvo sells for around 100 and I have to take the intake off to replace it. So I'm feeling safe saying they are more expensive and a little more difficult to work on than the average car.
Take for example the proper way to do a serpentine belt. There is no other use for the tool that retracts that tensioner. But then again I have a ton of tools that only work on a single model or just one generation of engine from GM to Subaru.

Someone buying their first Volvo should be aware of that. Mine was a $300 dollar beater that I started to return to normal running condition, stage one and get all the idiot lights turned out and somehow I've ended up progressing to a Bilstein and KYB with new mounts, Lowered sport springs, 3" SS OBX exhaust, 19T, R exhaust manifold, NA throttle bodied, GM TCV, MSD ign coiled, poly engine and trans mounts, LED exterior - interior almost fully converted, daily driver with a lot of stock new parts too. I have blue injectors waiting on an ARD tune.

I did that because I like the feel of the car. Had I known back when I came across the "beater" they were such fun I would have just bought a three thousand dollar one with nice paint.

BTW this should get moved to classifieds.

Attached Thumbnails 850r for sale 1996-gator-grip-socket.jpg  
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog
If all you need is a set of Torx screw drivers either you have a ton of tools (literally and you should have needed torx a long time ago) or you believe a Vise Grip and a gator grip socket are all you need.
Meh... I've accumulated a few tools in my tool bag over the years, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'd say I have about an "average" mechanical set, mix matched sockets & ratcheting wrenches, really.

You can even get what I would call "above-average" mechanics set from Sears for like $99 when they have their 50% off sales. Toss in a GearWrench 20-set (10 metric, 10 standard) of ratcheting wrenches for $50... and you're in business!!

I've been using nothing but a double-sided 3/8" and 1/2" stubby ratchet that I got from Advance Auto Parts years ago. Have a piece of PVC that fits in my tool bag that I've used to get a little extra torque extension. That one ratchet has been incredibly versatile for me.

Haha.... gator grip!!! Always looked cool, but I always figured it was too good to be true. I like the Loggerhead Bionic adjustable wrench, but it's ONLY good for a bicycle. And even then... Anyway...

Torx sockets are a standard fastener on most cars since back in the ninties and were used on domestic vehicle brake calipers even earlier but it is true a Volvo seems to have more of them.
Is that so??

My Fox, Corolla, Z3, Civic, Sentra, and D21 Hardbody haven't needed Torx drivers for anything... but the Volvo needs 'em for at least 40% of the jobs I've needed to do.

Still, an all-in-one, universal Torx driver folding tool (Ampro, I believe it is) has accomplished all those jobs. I also have another all-in-one folding tool that's a no-name brand from O'Reilly and it works just about as well for $4. But I think there's been two instances where only one or the other would work... so I'm not sweating it. That's why I say a $10 set of Torx drivers in addition to an "average" mechanics set is virtually all you need. The average Craftsman mechanics set doesn't include Torx the last time I checked.

Some of the parts for my car I can't even get locally and although some are reasonable there are things like the PCV system that for less than three bucks I can get one for my Thunderbird but the kit for a Volvo sells for around 100 and I have to take the intake off to replace it. So I'm feeling safe saying they are more expensive and a little more difficult to work on than the average car.
Mmm.... the PCV kit is the ONE thing that is more expensive, and if I knew what I know now... I would have replaced that the day that I bought this car.

And, sure, it's a LITTLE more difficult to work on... but that's a BIG emphasis on the "LITTLE".

Take for example the proper way to do a serpentine belt. There is no other use for the tool that retracts that tensioner. But then again I have a ton of tools that only work on a single model or just one generation of engine from GM to Subaru.
Don't know what you're talking about. I use a 1/2" drive ratchet with 3/4" drive adapter just fine.

Takes me a minute or two extra to unscrew two ECU housing bolts and move it out of the way... but it's totally doable with a 1/2" drive ratchet, which one should already have (I actually don't have a single-sided 1/2" ratchet; I've always used my buddy's, but we had a falling out, so I'll be purchasing this ratchet tomorrow for $15 (hopefully I can find a 20% off coupon!!) and then I can even lose the PVC pipe) and this $6 adapter. It worked just fine the last time I had a single-sided 1/2" drive ratchet available, at least.

BTW this should get moved to classifieds.
Hear, hear!

Last edited by grndslm; 02-02-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MattyXXL
The ones Ive seen sell for that low are all in the north east. CT and MA mostly..

Which ones are you talking about down here The red R? I looked at that, them motor is in bad shape, low miles but a spun bearing
Hey Matty; have you seen this one? Yeah, I know it's not an R, but I'm not specifically looking for an R...
1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon