Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

850R Wagon - interior cover of rear door

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 850R Wagon - interior cover of rear door

The interior cover on the rear door of the wagon keeps popping off when the door is closed. There seems to be clips that hold it in place. But they keep breaking and/or popping off. When the cover is loose I can see the brake light spilling out all over the rear cargo area and reflected in the rear window. Any ideas on a better way to keep this intact? Many thanks

Old 03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a repair kit you can buy which is a metal plate that screws to the panel to hold the clips better. I believe FCPGroton.com sells them.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM

i think most 855'er go through some sort of hell working with the tailgate cover thingie...

here's what I did - your results may vary.

I went to the local auto parts store. looked in the "help" section for interior plug thingies... u know the ones- they're plastic body plugs: flat on one side, ribbed for your pleasure on the other side... typically an inch long or so...

ANYHOW.

I found some that were about as big around as my pinkie finger... I took a carpet knife and trimmed the round flat side down a bit to slide into the metal bracket thingie on the door / hatch. I cut a little of the edges to square it up, and trimmed the actual top of the plug so it was not as rounded.

I slid the body plug onto the tailgate (not the cover) so the ribs were facing to the inside of the car (self-explanitory).
Then I lined up the cover and pushed it down onto the modified body plugs.
That joker hasn't come off since! (and I'm hesitant to try to take it off... lol)

On my car, someone already installed the metal brackets from FCP (and they weren't working so hot)

The parts were some brinkman? becker? heck, I don't know - they were in the help section - and I believe they were originally for a chrysler.... If I can find the package, I'll update this thread...

Old 03-09-2009, 09:21 PM

Alright on the next warm day I'll crawl back there and take a closer look. See if I can get those thingys and mount them in there. If I can't get them to hold I'll take a look at the FCPGroton.com plate.

Thanks.