Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

The 850T

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 850T

Back again guys! I sat down and decided that finally fixing my truck up to a good selling condition wont be hard at all and once I do that, it's like 3 things, I'm going to sell it off for around 2500 maybe more. All I really have to do is give it suspension again in the back. Anyways I still really want a 850T because they have some ***** and still get around 22mpg right?

My plans are sleeper!! I'm so in love with a stick so since they are like 90% auto I want to change it into a slapstick . Since it already has a turbo I want to throw in a bigger one. I just want it to have about 300HP and maybe some new gears so it get's up to speed fast and still balance out the top speed. Ofcourse all tinted and stock looking accept for a few exterior mods. What chya think?

Old 04-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The 850T

I found that the 98 S70 Turbo can be found with a five speed easier than the 850. It's basically the same car with a new name. I found one in red with a five speed with only 40K on it. The book on it at the time was about $10K and that's what I offered her. She would not take less than $12,500 and I said forget it. In hindsight I wish I would have bought it. That's right before I bought my 97 850 R.

It's has to be pretty expensive to change an automatic to a five speed. I would just keep looking until you find one that has the five speed in it from the factory.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 AM

Adding a slap stick isn't like converting an auto to a manual. It still carries the basic principal of shifting cept if you drop it into first into ratchet mode you can select shift points.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well to get your 300HP your going to have to do more then a bigger turbo.

Somethings your going to want to do.

1. Do stage 0 which you can find on Volvospeed in the PINNED section of the Performance forum.

2. Upgraded turbo 16T, 18T, 19T Viva Performance or the Volvo stealership are places to find these. Possible junkyard find but good luck.

3. Upgraded injectors, I think White, Blue or Green.

4. 3" downpipe to 3" full catback system with free flowing muffler and CAT.

5. Upgraded IC to like A-TECH I think it is called from EST, or a custom FMIC setup.

6. Upgraded ECU is a must and if you do these performance parts in stages wait till the end to do this mod. I would dyno your car also stock, and then after each performance mod you do, with a/f ratios so your cars ECU can be tuned better. Some companies to look into would be RICA and the U.S. dealer for that is Viva Performance, IPD, EST, Upsolute, SpeedTuning USA. Those are in order of most exspensive to least exspensive. Also ST USA from what I know doesn't tune your car if you give them all your dyno sheets and a/f ratios, they just put in a 12/15/17 PSI chip and your off. I have the 12PSI chip and love it by the way. You may want to look into BSR and also CIVINCO. Look on Volvospeed for the Civinco writeup that a couple people have done.

You may want to look into EST's RIP kit, but you also might want to look into doing a custom one. Keep in mind the faster you go the faster or quicker you may want to stop. And handling as well.

Old 05-02-2006, 12:29 AM

Well I didn't mean just drop a bigger turbo in and that is all that will need to be done, it was just a general goal. 300 horses is kinda a lot...just for a DD. I mean it isn't anything real special but for a cheap sleeper it can do some killing. It's going to be able to take on some of the basic sports cars and then even some that are slightly modded. I was hopping for a high flow cat, I was going to ask if there was some equation to figure out the perfect exhaust size because sometimes too big does more bad then good from what I've read. I'm going to be building up a 351W too at the same time so it's going to be like, well I'm kind of board with the engine so I'm going to add something to the V. That way I don't put all my eggs into one basket right away or get board and stop. Anyone know what a stock 1/4 mile is for a 850T? I want to strip the engine comparment of a lot of unneeded junk if possible. Ya know, just do the works . With my graduation money I'm going to buy a pretty nice craftsmen tool set and tool chest, an engine stand and some other basic wants like a volt meter, a spark plug socket...ya know..