Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

94-850 na Idles for a few seconds- croaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94-850 na Idles for a few seconds- croaks

I can keep it running by applying the gas and it is drivable, but I ordered a new Crank position sensor, I am still -getting codes 2-1-4 and 1-3-1 which I believe are indicative of a failing crank position sensor...any way. The guy named "TECH" had me clean the throttle body and I reassembled it and it was a significant improvement!!! But now it just idles for a few seconds before it dies, restarts no problem but then again runs for a few seconds and dies again...Ive read the posts here and see that the PCV system is a 'likely' place to go for this but not sure...anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks....

I figure while I am waiting for my parts to arrive I may as well resolve as many issues as possible...after all winter is coming.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 94-850 na Idles for a few seconds- croaks

Tech is our top dog (probably one of the top5s in the United States in my opinion).

Is it the Crank Position Sensor, or is it actually the Camshaft Position Sensor? In general, it is the Cam Sensor that goes bad. Or, with limited info I am suspecting the Throttle Position Sensor but there is no telling without testing the car myself.

The PCV system on 850susually cause oil leaks past seals.

When was the last tune up?

See attached.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/5B7A8273AC36491F938AF216C2F8B558.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/B173E4620EEF4AB38892D656BC924339.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/0E08017E33E44B3581F006E04A093F54.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/52FF9E6A0D224B67BD660FBB8529F8C0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/1750DD6BF2534C53B87B8D74221CFF48.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 PM

thanks jpn...ya I kinda figured that dude KNOWS HIS ****! Hopefully I didn't waste my $ but all indications are that sensor, but it could be the cam sensor too or? When I get it done I'll grab some pics...this forum is like the bimmer forum, those guys there pounce on questions like a tiger on a steak...you guys are the same way...Very much appreciated. These Volvos have a good reputation and I am gong to build mine right back to stock to keep the reliability there... I washed it tonight ...lol it is like 40 degrees here and I am washin my car...wonder if the neighbors think I lost it :-)

Maybe you know, I need some of the door bump guard clips that hold em in place, is that a dealer only item?

Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 AM
JPN

After a bit of research, I’m starting to think that your ECU needs a new RPM sensor to function correctly. See attached. Sorry they are kind of microscopic but the upload limit is mere 500KB and I didn’t want to split them in half.

>lol it is like 40 degrees here and I am washin my car
As long as the outside temp is above freezing point, I do that too.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/6BEC86CDA07447EAADF947BD07DC338A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/2280E076967749B3AA5C12FBB192F7B7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/7F09944A310740F5BF8CD7F7661E889F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/005FFDE53A3C4B82B2C6959CE0D261AD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/9C29D004185C4A66832E4EFA99A89D87.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2008, 07:18 AM

JPN...Thanks!!! The first picture I cannot make out, either my vision is bad...which as I age is true. Or, the pic is small which could also be true. But I believe it is a depiction of the harness that leads to the RPM sensor, which is relatively easy to get out. That picture could be a valuable resource if the Crank Position Sensor does not work. Where did you get a manual like that? I went and got a Haynes and was happy with it for what it costs...But there is no comparision to the bentley manual that I have for my BMW. Then again the bentley was like 6x more expensive.

I did do the resistance check and it appears the Sensor did have the required resistance...but, all other indications are that that sensor is intermittent... so the harness picture could be very impt to me...if you have a larger image of that you can email me at jeeppfs@yahoo.com why do you think I need to change the ECU? Thank you for your input and Arigato Goziamastia!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Does the tach drop off and look funny before the car stalls?
Usually the crank/cam sensor makes the tach do funny thing like jump up and down when it is loosing signal.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 AM
JPN

Sorry the pic was too small. Here is a larger version. I believe you wanted the 2nd pic and not the 1st one, correct? I could not locate the Crank Position Sensor, and I wondered if it is referred to as the Speed Sensor, which I circled in red. Or it could be a sensor that outputs speed signal to the ABS module (the speedo on the 850 does not work without the ABS module).

The door bump guard (side moulding) clips, as far as I know are either dealer items or junk yard items. The small one on the fender is held in place with 2 ABS plastic clips. The one on the front doors are held in place by several clips & a Torx screw.

Manual:
http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/volvo_wo...techdocs.shtml

I believe Mathew’s Volvo Site also has it.

I print them out, scan them to convert to JPEG files so that I can upload. It is a time-consuming process but heck, Tech has been devoting so much time here helping out others so why not join the club?

No, you do not need to replace the ECU. I meant that if a sensor is faulty and putting out wrong/out-of-range values then the ECU gets confused and the engine/tranny would not perform right.

>Goziamastia!
Thanks, but if you allow me to correct spelling, it would be Gozaima****a. Not to worry, my Japanese is screwed up after spending 11.5 years in the States.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/1DD50FF926FF41F1978854BB59E55A08.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2008, 11:15 AM

Thanks Tech and JPN...

No the tach doesn't do 'funny' things. I just drops out kind of like when you turn off the car. But, I can keep it running by giving it gas. So, I am not so sure...JPN thanks for the links. I'll check it out...so I guess I am having a hard time extrapolating your meaning...Just cut to the chase...what do you think it is 'if' the sensor doesn't work?

In reading the previous posts in an old thread (hi Guys - I know it sounded weird...) I came to something that wasn't clear...and I thought I understood...You know I am beginning to think that it may be the IACV...When I pulled it off all I could do was to spray claner in the hoses and shake it around, but Techs reply said to remove the motor...and make sure it moves freely...My IACV is a closed unit with 2 hoses on it, and a single plug...I did ohm out the motor and it is within specs...so I am not sure that isn't the problem, like I said I can keep it running by simply keeping RPM's up...so maybe it is something more 'basic'...

Old 11-09-2008, 03:20 PM

Ok, so today it is horrible weather starting to 'snow' and I got the 'where with all" to go out and try to fire up my 'new' 850. I detailed the engine last night and was careful to keep water off the disty. But, I did squirt off the top of the clyinder head covers because the spark plugs fit so tightly in there I thought there was no way for water to get in there "WRONG". But at the time I didn't know it, so today I go to start my newly acquired ride and it just cranks over, I thought oh well, Tuesday is coming! (Crank Position sensor comes in). I decide to investigate why all of a sudden it isn't even firing. Well you got the rest of the story, I took one of the caps off and found water in my spark plug hole. so I pull the plugs all of them and they were all filled...so no wonder it didn't fire, upon removing one of the plugs broke off ...lucky me. So, off to autozone I go, I picked up some NGK v powers and bring them home. Put em in and within 2 seconds it is running :-). It now runs at idle for like 10 seconds or 15 seconds then dies out...maybe like it is being starved for fuel...so I am going to bypass the filter and see if that makes a difference...will report back.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 AM
JPN

I have a feeling that your 850 was neglected by the previous owner.

Please note, that Volvos are not happy with non OEM parts. OEM parts are more expensive than the generic brand parts, but the additional cost is well worth it.

Refer to my 2nd reply for routine tune-up items:

https://volvoforums.com/m_48928/tm.htm

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 11-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Thanks JPN...
Ya you kind of sound like the Bimmer guys (Guys from my BMW forum). and they all swear by BMW stuff. I on the other hand have had great successes with 'aftermarket' stuff...Although I do not buy the 'cheap' aftermarket stuff, I still like to try and find the best bang for my buck...Prolly the plugs got to ya...sorry :-). I know I am a car guy too!!!

Thanks for everyone's help...I will get this Volvo figured out and when I do it is going to be a nice ride. Today I ordered a few more 'small' items to bring it to 100%. They should be here this week...I HOPE. I never did get around to bypassing the filter...I was waiting for a slight temp increase...but it looks like I am gonna have cold hands in a few minutes.

Also, I decided last night to redo my headliner...I will prolly do it in black. Unless I find some decent 'tan' material. It would help not to have to change the visors handles etc...

I will post when I get the problem figured out, or if I run across any other 'issues' but I do believe the filter could be a big part of the problem...this Volvo is going to be by daily driver this winter...

You are right, it was probably neglected in the last half of its life!!!But the first half it lived a healthy Volvo dealership life in Florida...I have all service reciepts. So thanks for now...and I'll keep you posted when I have an update...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM

Ok, I did the fuel filter replacement and it does work somewhat better, starts instantly just idles for a bit then dies out...maybe back to the IACV? But the resistance checks out, and I did clean it so...I am not sure where to look. I am very satisfied with where it is as far as starting goes, but the idling is another story, this car should Idle without me having to nurse the throttle...

Any other ideas?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Did you have the idle motor out?
If you have it out and roll it in your hands back and forth you should hear the plunger moving back and forth.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Hey TECH...ur back, good to see U, Okay...I'll go pull it and roll it back and forth, when I plug it in I do hear some motor inside running... I'll check and update this ASAP...

okay here you go ...hopefully this helps

maybe I am not rolling it right...but when I shake it pretty good I can hear somethin inside...I think it comes out in this video...
http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=MVI_0017.flv

And here is a video of the car starting and dying keep in mind there is NO THROTTLE at all and it is cold here! ~40 degrees farenheit
http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=MVI_0018.flv

Hopefully you guys can make some sense of this....I am going back to my headliner 'redo' job...takin the grab handles off in this cold weather is a genuine PITA...

Hopefully this goes well or I am screwin my ride up..:-)

Old 11-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Administrator

If you roll it it should move really easy. Maybe it is still dirty. It looks like you have to shake it really good to get it to do it.
They should be so loose you can roll it with one hand and have it make noise.

Try cleaning some more then spray a little WD-40 or something like that and work it and see if it gets better.

Was that just your camera or is the exhaust off? It sounds pretty loud.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 PM

You know, with all the other stuff in my new ride, I never considered the exhaust! I'll take a look at it tomorrow, Let me go spray some carb cleaner in there and let it soak over night...I'll let ya know tomorrow

Old 11-11-2008, 04:38 AM
JPN

Does it still stall even after the engine has come up to the normal operating temp (temp gage at 3 O’Clock), or there is no difference?

JPN

Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 PM

JPN...not sure. I just start it and let it 'idle' die. On occassion I rev it up, but nothing serious, and I am more interested in getting it to idle as though I were going to put in a remote start...not sure if I will but I know i"ll consider it. And if it doesn't Idle the remote start will be a waste of time...

I did soak the IACV in carb cleaner, and squirted some WD40 in there it still makes around 40-50 seconds then croaks almost like it is a bad fuel pump or something, but there are no other indications...Like when I rev it no problem, when It starts no problem...Hmmm

Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Did you try unplugging the mass flow and see if it will idle?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Hey Tech ...Good to see You! No difference with MAF or without MAF... I tried a couple times, both ways so ...

Quick Reply: 94-850 na Idles for a few seconds- croaks