Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

'95 T5-R Check Engine Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 T5-R Check Engine Codes

Hello,

After doing some reading last night, i learned how to check the engine codes, w/o the expensive tool thankfully. I found what some of the codes meant online, and was trying to find out how i can determine what the other codes mean. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with filling in the blanks i have: The car is an 95 t5r Wagon, Automatic

A1 - Transmission
223 Throttle position (TPS) sensor signal too low

A2 - Engine

111 - ?? I think this means no faults

A3 - ABS
213 Left rear wheel sensor, no signal on moving off
214 Right rear wheel sensor, no signal on moving off
311 Left front wheel sensor, open/short
444 No power supply to valves in hydraulic unit

A7 Combined Instrument

113 - ???

B1
321 - ???
417 - ???

B2

122 - ???

B5

111 - ???

For the ones that i've identified for Transmission and ABS, i'm also wondering if anyone has suggestions on if these are big problems to worry about or know how to fix them.

I have noticed that wierd thing w/ the ABS light, how sometime when i start the car it's blinking on and off, sometimes it stays on and i can't shift w/o pressing the shift lock button. It seems to be tied into the key position, i can usually correct the problem by rotating it even more forward, but even then sometimes after driving it'll pop back on.

Any advice or suggestions anyone could share would be GREATLY appreciated! Guys in the local Volvo dealerships aren't usually willing to help out unless they're getting paid $100/hr to do so.

Thanks!

Old 08-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: '95 T5-R Check Engine Codes

A7-113=Fuel guage sender short circuit

B1-(climate control)321=shutter motor drivers active to long
417=interior temp.sensor fan passenger side operation inhibited

B2(cruise control)122=speed has not exceded 35km/h or no vehicle speed (which is normal)If you do the test after driving and not shutting the car off then you will get a 111

B5 111 means no codes

111 means no codes at all

I would try to clear all codes and see what comes bad.

With the ABS most likely a bad module.

WIth the trans Replace the throttle position sensor.

The shifter problem might be a bad micro switch or bad electrical part of the ignition switch.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 PM

Thanks tech for filling in the missing codes!

I posted to another forum and was referred to the following page for the ignition switch / ABS light problem i was having. Seems that this is a fairly common occurance (or common enough to post a writeup on how to fix the problem). I haven't done it yet myself, but seems the problem can be corrected by replaceing the igntion switch. The symptioms seem to be exactly what i've been experienceing w/ the flickering ABS / Tracs light and how turning the key more forward will temporatliy stop this. Hope this can help someone else out.

This posting covers the replacement of the electrical portion of the ignition switch on the 850, however the same procedures apply to the S/V/70. Reasons for replacing the switch include; ABS/TRACS light staying on but upon wiggling the key will go out, headlights with intermittent operation, especially over bumps, difficulty getting out of park at times and wiggling the key helps, seat belt lights not going out.
http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/ignit_switch.php

I'm going to give this fix a try sometime this weekend, and will report back w/ results i have.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ludeless, do you have any idea how unique your car is? My understanding is that there were only about 1,000 95 T5R's brought to the USA, of that only around 200 were yellow. I bet very few of them were wagons. How many miles do you have on it, and how long have you had it? I really like they yellow, but could not find one when I was looking, so I bought a 97 white 850 R. I like the white too, and don't care for black.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: JimKW

Ludeless, do you have any idea how unique your car is? My understanding is that there were only about 1,000 95 T5R's brought to the USA, of that only around 200 were yellow. I bet very few of them were wagons. How many miles do you have on it, and how long have you had it? I really like they yellow, but could not find one when I was looking, so I bought a 97 white 850 R. I like the white too, and don't care for black.
I've heard it's pretty rare for an original paint yellow T5R wagon, but had no idea it was that rare. The couple times i've taken it into the dealership, the tech's were very suprised to see it and alwasy ask if it's a re-paint. But i had no idea it was 1 of 200 or less.

I've had it for about 3 months now, bought it from a friend's father who bought it for his son. It was supposed to be a winter car for me (my other car is a lexus IS300, which sucks in Michigan snow), but since i've had the T5R, i've only driven the IS300 once or twice over the past 3 months. The son didn't want to drive a fast yellow car for the fear of being noticed all the time by cops in the small town in OH where i got it, and he also has a very bad habit of totaling yellow cars. Thankfully i got it from him before he wrecked it It currently has ~96k miles on it.

The car needed quite a bit of work when i got it, and i'm doing it piece by piece...upgrading when i can. Unfortunatly the guys dad was kinda sketchy when i got it and stripped off the original wheels, CD changer, and Front strut tower brace, before i saw it for the first time. He put some crappy 16" wheels on it and told me that there was some recall on the 17's...only to find out that after i purchased the car, he offered to sell me the 4 wheels and strut brace for way too much...which needless to say i wasn't the least bit happy about...so i'm keeping my eye's out for some orignal wheels. I really like the styling of this car, and think it really lacks without the graphite wheels....but i gotta first concentrate on getting it mechanically sound before worrying about more 'cosmetic' things.

Right now i'm working on getting the check engine light problems fixed, and will be in need of a suspension very soon. The rear sits very low, and rubs the tires when i hit a bump if it's loaded up with stuff. Gonna run by Midas today for the free inspection to see what it needs. The car currently has Bilstien shocks (yellow ones), not sure if those are OEM or aftermarket, i'm just hoping the repair/replacement cost won't be too much.

Do you know where you got the info on how many of these might be in the US? I'd love to check that out.
Thanks!

Old 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator

Go over to volvospeed.com and ask there about yellow T5R's. I think about half the people there have them, but I have not seen any wagons. Here is a link:

http://www.volvospeed.com/volvo_performance.php

I have the same name there as here. If you choose a different name let me know. There are others from here I see over there too.

I think the original wheels on your car are called Pegasus (sp?). I have seen them for sale on volvospeed and also on e-bay. They will not be that hard to find. You are right though they look much better with the original wheels. I bought my R for $6500 and then spent an extra $1,000 for the wheels with very good Yohohama tires on them. My son said it's not an R unless it has R wheels. I think there were a few posters on this board that told me the same thing. It's so easy to spend somebody elses money.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a link to some wheels with tires for the 95 T5R. Don't know if they are sold yet or not.

http://www.volvospeed.com/volvo_performance.php

Old 08-26-2005, 12:46 PM

Well, i changed the ignition switch last night and that seemed to fix the problem with the flickering ABS / TRACS light. The directions (link in above post) were perfect and the entire job only took 30 minutes...really easy fix.

I haven't had time to reset/recheck the ABS codes, but will do so this weekend to see if that eliminates any of the 4 codes i was getting.

Old 08-26-2005, 05:18 PM

There's a yellow T5 near Milwaukee where I live. It's all faded and ratty, I'm pretty sure the people who own it have no idea that it's probably one of only 1000 cars! It's a shame, really. I'd like to get in touch with them and see if they want to sell it...