Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

95 volvo, I want to but a belt on and exclude the a.c. compressor.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 volvo, I want to but a belt on and exclude the a.c. compressor.

Has anyone done this?

The problem is that I messed with trying to get the a.c. fixed a couple months back. Couldn't put the money in it and still can't. So my daughter is driving it and the serp belt broke. I put a new one on in 15 minutes and I believe the a.c. compressor is locked. The belt seems to be turning with the pulley but it is hot and the pulley itself is shooting sparks out the back when I up the revs.

I just want to exclude it with a shorter serp belt and without having to try several different sizes from the autoparts store. It seems 10 inches shorter might work but not sure.

Has anyone figured out the size?

It's on 95 volvo 850 turbo auto sedan. Thanks. Adam

Old 08-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if I would try that, seems kind of risky and pretty makeshift. I would fix the compressor.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by gilber33
I don't know if I would try that, seems kind of risky and pretty makeshift. I would fix the compressor.
No money. The evap box may have leaked. Compressor low oil, anyways, you don't need the compressor other than you have to run the defrost on high heat if the windows fog to clear and warm up to drive in winter or the windows fog.

It's usually warm enough here that it's not a huge issue. Cars have run without a.c. for years. a.c. just comes in handy for aiding in the defrost. Call it what you want but I wouldn't call it risky or makeshift, just more sensible than dumping the house payment fund into a car and skipping the housepayment. I could be wrong about how necessary it is but I'm looking at an enormous amount of money to fix that I don't have so I want to keep the car driveable for under $20 if I can or it parks and rots.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow! If the compressor is LOCKED UP I would try to find one that is BAD but not LOCKED UP. May cost you a few more $$$ but if you go get a bad compressor, someone may feel sorry for you and give you one.

Other than that, where was the SPARKS coming from? Sounds like you have another pully or something with bad bearings or something.

There is a place called Volvo's Only in Arkansas. If there is a belt size that can be used to bypass the AC compressor, they would likely know.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm saying more that in order to find a belt to fit that your trying to do, your going to have to get something that is going to be doing something other than it's intended purpose. That could be risky and makeshift. If you can find a belt that is the right size and has the same pattern as the factory serpentine belt, then by all means go for it, but the belts are fitted to do they're intended job, so it might be difficult to find a belt that is going to fit those pulleys perfectly. Good luck though.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

Adam
I have exactly your situation with a 1994 850 turbo with a non-spinning compressor and no air conditioning. The dealer put on a shorter belt that eliminates the compressor pulley. At the time the service manager told me that some 850's were sold without air conditioning so he was able to find the proper belt size. This arangement has worked for 3-4 years although I wonder about the long term effect on the rest of the air conditioning system.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 AM

I sure appreciate everyone's prompt reply's.

As far as makeshift, not a big fan so I'll most certainly find the proper fitting belt. My biggest consideration at this point would be improper tension since the tensioner was designed for a different belt situation.

I'll call the Arkansas volvo place to see what the belt spec is if a dealer in Tulsa can't tell me.

I want to do as little as possible right now to get her back on the road and hopefully fix next year at tax time. Therefore, not wanting to put any compressor on just for the work aspect, only to have to do it again.

If and when it get's fixed, it will most likely have to be a re vamp. I think the previous owner had experienced the same issue and put a good used compressor on but when it kept loosing freon, he sold it to us knowing that there was some money involved in proper and complete repair.

Again, thanks to all.

Adam....who wishes he was a certified volvo tech....

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 PM

O.K. small update. The volvo's only in Arkansas didn't have a clue on the part and the dealer in Tulsa gave me the part # 9149644 for 95 volvos without a.c. not sure if it was on an 850. $44.00 special order + shipping and no returns. I'm not liking the risk factor so I'll do some more research.

Found a Duralast 495 K6 belt that I just barely squeezed on so all is good I hope. The 505 K6 was too long.

The K6 means for 6 groove pullleys and the 495 means 49.5 inches roughly. 50 seems to have been a better choice but I don't know if they make a 500 K6. I'll call and check. Back on the road and quiet again. Seems the old pulley on the compressor is busted. It turns but really full of wabble like it broke from the shaft of the compressor when the compressor froze. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by Adam Kelker; 08-07-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad you are back on the road, hopefully you will be able to get the ac fixed some day. The Volvo Only place fixed mine. The car was from up north and had to have the system flushed because it was likely out of service for a while. Cold as ice right now.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Dear Adam, by now (2 years) you should have it fixed but usually when the compressor eats belts it's one of two things. With the AC off or with the electric clutch on the end of the compressor unplugged the AC's pulley should free wheel separately from the compressor even if the compressor is trash. If it doesn't turn freely it might only be the bearing in the clutch on the end of the compressor that has gone bad and the compressor itself is still good. The bearing can be replaced without opening up the system. Just a thought.

Attached Thumbnails 95 volvo, I want to but a belt on and exclude the a.c. compressor.-heat-n-ac-ac-bypass-belt-k060495.jpg