Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 850 cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 850 cruise control

Have checked vacuum hoes and bench checked vacuum motor( One under battery) both check ok. I get no curise control lite on dash nor will cruise control engage. My ABS dash lite stays . Have checked brake pads and removed, cleaned and run ohm test on wheel sensors. None show short or open circuits, just some resistance.
Crazy thing also: A few times when car started and start to drive, Speed ometer, remoted controlled door mirrows, nor turn signal lites work. After driving a short while, all function properly. Help needed.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:23 AM

There’s a cruise control light on the dash?! Learn something new every day! There isn’t one in the ‘95’s and I don’t think there’s one in my ’97.
The ABS light is probably due to the ABS module, which fails often. Here’s a post to do it yourself:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...=12651&start=0
The speedo is probably related to the ABS module. The other electrical stuff may be due to the ignition cylinder being worn out. Try jiggling the key a bit to see if they come back to life. I wonder if this will fix your cruise problem, too?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Default 96 850 ABS Lite

Thans a bundle. I shall give your suggestions my utmost effort. By cruise contol dash like, I meant a small green lite lower left hand corner of instrument cluster that shows:"cruise control" and would lite when steering column cruise control switch is on.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Default Shift Lock

You hit it right on the money with your:" Try Jangling the ignition switch." It seems the ignition cylinder has some kind of spring that will cause it to spring the ignition key back a minute amount after starting the car. If it doesn't, it will not unlock the shift lever. Mine did not; however, on moving the key minutely couter-clockwise after starting, the shift lever is unlocked and works fine. I plan to flush out the lock cylinder with electrical contact points cleaner, blow cylinder with air to clean it out to see if it will spring back on its own, then perhaps blow a little lock powder or silicon spray lube in. See any problems doing this?
Again, Thanks a bundle for your help.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 AM

I've never done an ignition key cylinder cleanout, so I'm not sure how cautious to be, but it sounds like a good process to follow – unless anyone else can chime in and offer an alternative. Since it controls electricity, obviously you don’t want to spray anything that can conduct electricity. Plus working so close to the airbag, you may want to disconnect your battery just to play it safe – only AFTER you have your radio code, of course.

It might be a good idea to remove the column housing to get a good look at the innards. I know that jiggling the key is a good test for the problems we can experience, but I’m not clear on the root cause of the problem or the best solution. Maybe it’s a buildup of gunk or weak parts that break and need replacing.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosew6211
You hit it right on the money with your:" Try Jangling the ignition switch." It seems the ignition cylinder has some kind of spring that will cause it to spring the ignition key back a minute amount after starting the car. If it doesn't, it will not unlock the shift lever. Mine did not; however, on moving the key minutely couter-clockwise after starting, the shift lever is unlocked and works fine. I plan to flush out the lock cylinder with electrical contact points cleaner, blow cylinder with air to clean it out to see if it will spring back on its own, then perhaps blow a little lock powder or silicon spray lube in. See any problems doing this?
Again, Thanks a bundle for your help.
From my experience those symptoms point to the electrical part of the ignition switch getting tired and due for replacement.

BTW: Lock powder has grahite in it, which is conductive. Silicon spray should be fine.