Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

96 to 97 engine compatability

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 to 97 engine compatability

Hi all... i've been using your forums this past year under the radar, but finally have a question. I bought a 97 850 last december for 2K, have since put in another 2K doing the work myself per all of your excellent advice and detailed descriptions. Put in new O2 sensors andcatalytic converterto pass emissions, then water pump broke 100 miles later. I went ahead and replaced water pump, idler tensioner pulley, timing belt, serpentine belt, t-stat...then, after the car wouldn't start, Iread up and saw that I probably have a bent valve... I found a 96 850 available that was in a crash, and I'm wondering if I can swap engines? I went and bought an 02 vw jetta after my frustration over the volvo, but I do like the car and it would be nice to have a reliable beater if nothing else. My 850 is non-turbo, I'm not sure on the wrecked car yet. Would it pose a problem either way?

Thanks again for all of the wonderful advice and answers you all have compiled, has been a wonderful encyclopedia to consult!

Michael

Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: 96 to 97 engine compatability

As long as both engines are non-turbo, then there should be no problem. Trying to put a turbo engine in a non-turbo car (or vice-versa) can be done, but it is a lot of work and would require different computers, wiring harnesses, etc.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, i think I'll go ahead and get the wrecked car, if nothing else, good to have a parts car on hand. I've spotted a couple of people with questions regards to engine just quitting, thought I'd elaborate quick on mine. I was driving the car with no problems, then suddenly, engine died and coolant flushed from beneath the engine compartment. Water pump seized, when I removed it you could see where the spinning 'fan' had just ground itself into the housing. This in turn ripped the timing belt. I did the full replacement of water pump and belts, idler tensioner pulley, though there was still a steady leak at the water pump (I'm guessing I didn't properly tension all bolts, though wonder if I could have damaged the engine block when the pump broke?), engine turned over after i completed the work, but didn't start. This has led me to believe that one or several of the valves are stuck. Sound right to any of you all?

I don't know a lot about cars/engines, just enough to get myself into trouble, but is it possible to swap cylinder heads, have a valve job done perhaps on the replacement engine rather than swapping the entire engine out? I'm really just trying to make lemonade out of lemons on this one as I know I bought a major lemon crop on this car. Wish I'd never sold my V70 wagon, still one of my favorite cars of all time!

thanks much,

michael

Old 11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the timing belt breaks, you probably have a broken valve or two.

As long as the replacement head is the same as your current non-turbo setup...You should be able to swap just the heads.