Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97 850 Wagon -- Interior wet when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 850 Wagon -- Interior wet when it rains

'97 Volvo 850 Wagon w/ sunroof
Left side (drive & passenger) is wet after rain. This car spends most of its life parked in an open driveway. It's moms car and she only uses it to take dad to the doctor (he's disabled).

I've cleaned the cowl vents and they drain well. I have checked (I guess) the sunroof's drains (not really sure how to do it. I opened the sunroof fully then poured water in that channel that has the little rectangular opening in it by the rubber hose).

I don't see any moisture in the A pillar when I take the trim off. I also don't notice any moisture on the headliner or other areas of the interior. The carpet on the firewall (vertical plane) on driver's side is dry, but the carpet near the kick panel is wet. Carpet by the transmission tunnel is dry. Don't know if there's a way for the water to be coming in via the kick panel area or not.

When the sunroof drain(s) are clogged, where does the water leak in at? Through the sunroof/headliner, or backs up into the A pillar and then into the car by some means?

The weatherstripping around driver and passenger doors looks to be good.

Seems like when we cover the windshield with plastic the car stays dry. When I use the garden hose all over the windshield I'm not getting any water build up inside.

When I open the driver's door, I do see what I'd term as foreign materials in that area by the door hinge. Could water be collecting in that area (say in the fender skirt or the rocker panel) and be getting into the car if some sheet metal drain holes were plugged?

I'm wondering what would be common between the front and rear to where they'd both be getting wet, since there appears to be appx a 1+ inch riser between front and rear under the driver's seat. Or maybe there's a hole in that riser so the two halves really aren't separated. I'd prefer not to have to tear the interior apart to try to find this leak.

I've read some say that when the rear gets wet its usually a trunk drain, but I don't see any drains around the rear on the wagon. Cargo compartment is dry.

It's hard for me to get this car to Volvo as there aren't any close to us any longer, as well as the logistics of actually getting there.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 AM

We sometimes get some moisture when parking front of car downhill. It think it's from the sunroof. If your driveway has any slope try facing 'nose-up' and see if that doesn't help.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

I have a similar problem on my 96 wagon. Drivers side floor area is wet after heavy rains. I think i've tracked my problem down to do with something on the door. There is one section of the door panel that is wet after heavy rains, almost right in the middle near the mounting screw. From there, the water drains down the side skirt into the floor mat area.

Initially, the lower door gasket was badly torn but after replacing, it still leaks. I don't think my problem is sun roof related. Have you had any luck yet?

Old 11-09-2009, 07:52 PM

Hey Spyhunter..

my 92 940 wagon has the same issues. I cant figure it out! The sunroof drain is clear, so I think it may the door. Where exactly do you think your door has an issue?

thanks,

Iain

Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 AM

I'm not sure how the door is different on the 940s but on the 850, the interior door panel is wet on the bottom edge just a few inches away from the side mirror. It's actually closest to the mounting spot on the door panel.

Either the drain in the door is clogged or maybe it's leaking it from the mirror mount. This car was hit in the front years ago and both fenders were replaced. maybe the mirror was involved too. I'm not really sure

Old 11-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if that's where it's wet have you investigated that area? Take off the door panels and look around if there's any openings to the outside. Check the drains right in front of the windshield, check all of your door seals.

Take a hose and spray your car one spot at a time until you find water leaking inside.