Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

97 N/A Sedan with some problems

Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 N/A Sedan with some problems

Hi gents, I just bought a 1997 850 GLT N/A sedan with 180k on it.
The interior is fairly decent and it purrs like a kitten.

I'm new to the whole turning wrenches thing, but as one mod told me on my first post, I need to learn if I'm going to own a Volvo! I thought I would come to you and see if you had any tips on whats going on with the car.

1. When first starting the car, ABS and TRAC lights come on and stay on until I literally jiggle the key while it is in the ignition. I cannot use my lights or blinkers until I jiggle it enough to make the ABS light go out!

2. The radio isn't getting any power. The fuse under the hood is good and I replaced it just in case.

3. SRS light is on.

4. (Edit) Also, when I shift out of park, I have to use the manual gear release switch on the side of the gear selector.

Other than these problems, the car runs great. I am not doing the repairs by myself, I have a buddy who has worked on cars since before he was out of diapers helping me.

Thank you for the help!

Dru

Last edited by Dru Morgan; 03-22-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Dru, all of your issues (except the SRS light) are likely due to the same problem, a bad ignition switch. Look at this link:
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...-issues-56256/

You can do this fix yourself. Order the part from an on-line vendor like www.FCPEuro.com or www.iPdUSA.com and I'll post a video to show you how. That is, if you can figure out how to lase a pair of sneakers?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM

Right on, I appreciate the links.

Who knows, I might have to go to Velcro shoes if I can't!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

It's worth the try. You'll be thrilled when you pull it off.

Ignition Electrical Switch

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

HEY ! Quit stealing my pictures.

Depending on what instructions you follow it is NOT necessary to take off the steering wheel.

#55 Ignition Switch | 1997 Volvo 850 Wagon Project

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

I just replaced mine. Super simple and the steering wheel did not have to come off. One thing I might point out is that the electrical plug is live when your prying the plug off so keep in mind that a metal pry rod conducts electricity

Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Take off the steering wheel? Who would do that??? OMG!!! Didn't know it was live. I guess my instructions will include disconnecting the battery.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 AM

Alright, I have the ignition switch ordered. Anyone have a clue about the radio? I have tried the stock cassette deck that came with the car that the owner swears was working before he replaced it with a Volvo CD/Cassette deck and I have no power to it. I have looked under the steering wheel for a fuse and have had no luck in finding a fuse in the actual electrical line, and have checked each and every fuse under the hood and all are good.

Thank you very much for the ignition switch idear!

Edit - I don't think the radio has anything to do with my ignition switch due to the fact that no matter how much I jiggle it, the radio still doesn't seem to work!

Last edited by Dru Morgan; 03-23-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM

Check your fuses under the hood... Oh and BTW your car is a Light pressure turbo not a N/A

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Good to know about the car being LPT! I had no idea that was a real thing.... But, Google is my friend and I figured out what ya mean.

Also, I checked all fuses under the hood. Every last one of them is good.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rspi
Take off the steering wheel? Who would do that??? OMG!!! Didn't know it was live. I guess my instructions will include disconnecting the battery.

I DID, thank you very much !! The instructions I followed said to take it off before trying to remove the two black plastic covers. It's how I tripped my SAS light and almost ended up going to the dealer before finding out I had the under hood diagnostic panel that allowed me to reset the light.

It's my first Volvo, what can I say.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Administrator

I don't like bad instructions. If you see them on our site, edit them and change it to be friendly.

YUK, YUK, YUK...

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 03-24-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling :-P
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dru Morgan
Anyone have a clue about the radio? I have tried the stock cassette deck that came with the car that the owner swears was working before he replaced it with a Volvo CD/Cassette deck and I have no power to it.
Did you pull the radio out, unplug it, and reinstall it? When you pull it out, make sure you have the radio code or when it does POWER ON it will not work cause you'll be locked out of the security system portion of it.

Other than that, try not to post multiple problems on one thread. We sometimes over look a problem or expact someone else to answer is and it will usually go unanswered.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:50 PM

We used a (forgive me because I forget the actual name of the tool) tool that lit up when you stuck it in the power source for the radio, it only lit up on the ignition wire. Pretty sure when they swapped the radio with just a cassette deck with the one with the CD and cassette deck, they may have pulled just a little too hard!

Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Administrator

So you think you have a bad wire? Maybe you should try another radio. Do you have a friend with a car you can test your radio in?

Old 03-25-2013, 03:07 AM

I can ask my buddy at work tomorrow if he feels like pulling his radio out and trying it that way.

Also, I just replaces all the bulbs behind my dash because only the left side of my dash was working, I could only see up to about 55 MPH and my Tac wasn't lit up at all, so I changed out all the lights, but the one behind the trip computer still isn't lighting up, any ideas?

Yet again, thank you for the help!

Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM
Administrator

The trip computer should have 2 bulbs, are either working? If not you likely installed the wrong size bulbs.

It can be a pain working back there. I usually leave the pad loose until everything is working properly. I drove around for a week or so once with the pad off. I had the passenger side airbag removed from the pad and bolted in place. My wife was trippin. Funny!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Administrator
Old 03-29-2013, 04:34 AM

Haha, I appreciate the video, I already switched over my ignition, I ordered the switch from IPD and it came with a full color print out of instructions. I like them guys.

So, I got a new door for the passenger side since the gal who owned the car before me decided to slide into a poll, I can't wait to put it on, I will have to upload some pictures of before and after.

Anyone have any suggestions for OEM white paint?! Lol

Old 03-29-2013, 05:21 AM
Administrator

I really like iPd for that reason. The video will help others.

Suggestions? The paint color code is on the tag under the hood.

Last edited by rspi; 03-29-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 N/A Sedan with some problems