Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on

Hi. I'm new to the Volvo family since Oct/ 05 when i bought a '97 850 sedan with a manual trans. I was looking for something safer after a bad accident where we rolled over so i ended up with a Volvo.
I've done some work on it with some help from my dad. So far we've done the regular oil changes, replaced the thermostat, changed brake pads on all 4 wheels, replaced the odometer gear at about 125k and now i've came up with a problem with the ABS light. Sometimes when i turn on the car is there, some other times it comes on as i'm driving and doesn't go away until i turn it off. I don't know for sure what the problem could be but as i've been reading looks like it could be the ABS module. I'm trying to stay away from the dealer and we all know why but would it be better if i get a new module from ebay, or send it to CA to mr. Rocha to fix it or just get a used one from a local junkyard here in NC? Is it easy to replace or do i need a mechanic to do this job?

Thank you

Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: ABS light on

It is easy to replace.
You will need a set of Inverted torxes.
Buy a rebuilt one they will last a lot longer than any of the others.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get the codes to see what the problem is. Buy a reader or take your car to AutoZone and have them read the codes. Report back with the codes and someone will guide you the rest of the way.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:23 PM

All right. I'll take it to Autozone when i'm available this weekend and let you guys know. A few other questions i forgot to ask.
If i'm not mistaken Autozone will only let you know what the problem is if the "check engine light" is on, but that's about it.
If i take this module off the car, can i still drive it?
Where is it located?
Sorry to ask but since english is not my primary language what are "inverted torxes"?

Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I think Auto Zone only has the ability to read engine codes. I may be wrong but thats what I heard.

The ABS module is located under the Master Cylinder on the drivers side. You will see the Brake lines go to the ABS pump motor. The module is located under the Pump motor.

Yes if you remove it you can drive the car. The worse that happens is NO ABS and Maybe NO SPEEDOMETER.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
The socket will look like this. Most Auto Parts stores sell them. I believe it is an E5 or E6 size that you need.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:31 AM

For those browsing this post... r213faq

The ABS/TRACS light is most likely due to a failed ABS module. Here's a link to Victor, who rebuilds them and is highly recommended.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/
vicrocha@earthlink.net

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/...BS_removal.htm
I don't want to hear that you cannot do this job. Read this email I received on Sunday, November 13, 2005.

Victor, I'm a busy mother of four and I just wanted to thank you for your directions on how to remove the ABS unit in order to send it to you for repair. Your directions were so easy, I was able to remove the unit myself in about 10-15 minutes. As a female, who is not afraid to maintain the car or look under the hood, I'm always trying to save a buck and do it myself if I can. This repair was a real breeze thanks to you.
Robin