Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

After market parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market parts?

Okay I feel like I'm killing my volvo with aftermarket parts. All of them seem to have bitches, but are they crap or is the installation lacking?

I was on a tread where some one asked "did you have a front end alignement" after they replaced lower contol arms...BIG DUH.

I did buy scan tech lower control arms because I wanted new ball joints and rubber frame mounts but now I'm seeing that scan tech has a lot of bad press.

bought Cardone axles(LLT).... and there're plenty of bitches about them too. They will pay for that LLT if they fail.

Any Ideas?

Old 11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know everyone always says that you should only replace your Volvo parts with OEM, I mean, obviously that's what's best and will do the best job, but my car has been getting all of its parts from Autozone and Erie Volvo (which is volvo parts but used) and it's running just fine. All the parts produced have to meet some sort of standard in order to be sold, and unfortunately it's only people that have had negative experiences with the parts are going to speak out.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:59 PM

Thanks Gilbert!! I'll put the Autozone axles in, the scan tech lower control arms and let you know what happens. They look good in side but side comparisions.

Last edited by Bobec; 11-22-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2009, 07:11 PM

Yup, and look up Erie Volvo, all of their parts are used but in like new used condition, and some of it is rebuilt, we have gotten a lot from them and fairly quick shipping as well.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 PM

It's the same as any other make of car.

Most aftermarket parts are as good as OEM and some are just not as good. It's hit or miss but the risk is well worth the savings, especially if you can perform the labor yourself.

Another thing to consider is we are dealing with cars between 10-16 years old with bluebook values that are not that great. I know I don't want to spend more than double for a part that may be better than its cheaper counterpart just because it has Volvo printed on the package.

PS. Today I was working on a customers' '06 Viper with 37k miles. I had to replace the accessory drive idler pulleys and tensioner because the original tensioner failed and the pulleys were squeeling. This guy is pretty picky and **** but even he could see that those OEM parts only lasted 37k miles so how good would the exact same OEM parts be since there have been no revisions or updates to those parts.

Last edited by schigara; 11-22-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Good point gil. We ought to make a thread for REVIEWS. And what people do to adjust the things that did not pan out as well.

Should we start it in General or make them model specific???

Old 11-22-2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by schigara
It's the same as any other make of car.

Most aftermarket parts are as good as OEM and some are just not as good. It's hit or miss but the risk is well worth the savings, especially if you can perform the labor yourself.

Another thing to consider is we are dealing with cars between 10-16 years old with bluebook values that are not that great. I know I don't want to spend more than double for a part that may be better than its cheaper counterpart just because it has Volvo printed on the package.

PS. Today I was working on a customers' '06 Viper with 37k miles. I had to replace the accessory drive idler pulleys and tensioner because the original tensioner failed and the pulleys were squeeling. This guy is pretty picky and **** but even he could see that those OEM parts only lasted 37k miles so how good would the exact same OEM parts be since there have been no revisions or updates to those parts.
Oh man, just out of curiosity, what does parts like that cost for a Viper?

Back on topic, that's a good idea rspi. Maybe start as general, eventually moving to model specific. I have a feeling most part reviews would be 850 or x70 series related. I for one will be ordering a lot of parts soon (and I mean a lot), majority from FCP and I will be getting the "generic" parts that they offer for the reasons posted here, to save money, and would glad to do a review for each part I order.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's my rule on parts: If a parts store offers 2 different tiers, go with the top tier. You'll usually not go wrong with those. I buy a lot of parts from Advance- I worked there when I was in college, and I know that when they have problems with a particular supplier, they will switch to a manufacturer that is more promising. There's also a local international parts supplier I frequent, and if a job doesn't need to be done right away, FCPgroton (mostly for volvo parts) and Germanautoparts.com (on VW, BMW and Mercedes) are my sites of choice.

If you want my reviews... well, Scan-tech control arms are the pits... They're dorman's European parts division, and Dorman sells cheap chinese budget parts... period. Cardone usually puts out decent stuff... though every now and then, something will make it out that fails way too soon... though, I suppose you're going to see that now and then. Their warranty, however, is great, so an occasional bad part isn't the end of the world.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Thanks all for the input.

I really like rspi's idea for a review thread and I'm surely willing to contribute. My vote is under general because I't would better serve the entire community.

Carrots.. you're not the only one who thinks scan tech is junk and two front end alignments instead of one with good parts, I never learn, yes, you do get what you pay for. This one is really tough. I have the scan tech's, I need to get the car back on the road so I'm leaning toward throwing them in and giving them a try.

I'll keep you posted on the results.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do only easy tasks on my cars and so far not good experience with aftermarket parts:
brake - squealing,
upper torque mount bushing - vibration,
air intake hose (FCP) - bad fitting for flame trap
No problems only with air and oil filters ( FRAME)
Great idea for review tread. One could do review on parts store website but they accept only good rviews...LOL... so posting it here may be solution but not sure how would they like it.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM

Let me chime in on this also.... I did a 3 hour seminar at the SEMA show a few weeks ago and it was titled " knowing and marketing your after market part". Some parts companies will take the OEM man. tolerances and take it to the next level. Some parts companies will match the OEM standards and there are some that will take the OEM standards but will use cheaper quality "ingredients" in the process. So Gilbert33, unf. no one out there will be checking the quality...Now, if too many of one part does start to fail, then the NHTSA will chime in and then set up a recall if needed, but a lot of parts need to fail AND enough people need to raise hell in order for that to happen and unless that company has a quality control department, no one will necessarily be "checking" those parts. So not axles, spark plugs, body parts, etc.. are made the same. Obviously the Manufacturer will set up the specs., but also remember that Volvo doesn't make parts. They sublet all those things to suppliers. So in reality the parts that the cars are made are all after market parts as so is the fluids, etc..... I guess what I am trying to say is be weary of the parts you are buying. I personally refuse to go to the parts store unless I know something about that manufacturer, which is why I'm such a fan of FCP. They list on their site if it's not a Volvo part, the name of the manufacturing co. and other info to better educate yourself. Seems like overkill, but I'd hate to buy an axle of cheap metal that could fail after 5k (like tech was telling me about). I'm not pushing FCP and any other parts company however, just like they say about food sometimes you are what you put in your mouth also goes into what you put into your car. I also worked at a few car dealerships and I know about knowing your parts. They are not all the same.

Last edited by Somthngfrce; 11-23-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM

I totally agree. I think what I was getting at is that your going to have the best luck with OEM parts, when you get the cheaper stuff, the chances of the parts failing will be more likely than if you went OEM. But like I said, we've been getting a lot of parts for my car from autozone and it has been completely fine and no problems at all. Yes they have the probability of failing over a shorter period of time, but that does not go for all of the parts, I have not had any premature or excessive wear on anything I've put in my car. I have had a couple situations where I have received the wrong part, or parts from Erie that are not up to par and have had to send back. I'm just saying it's hit or miss, and the risk will be greater with the "cheaper" aftermarket parts, but that does not mean they should all be ruled out.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:04 PM

You are absolutely correct. Hit or miss. You might as well roll dice and see what happens. LUCKY 7 here I come