Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Alarm ECU and the Lost Wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm ECU and the Lost Wires

Afternoon everyone

Yet another remote central locking / alarm problem.

My RCL doesnt work, but it did once. I've located the receiver unit, plugged into the distribution board under the driver footwell. The unit sports a green 5-wire plug socket on its topside, with a cable running out.

A document that i'd found http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/ser...ntrySystem.pdf told me to check for earth and various voltage levels on some of the pins of this wire entering the receiver.

Now after finding that there was no earth, constant voltage nor ignition voltage coming into the receiver, i looked into where the wire went inside the car. This is where I need some assistance, maybe some1 could look at theirs? My 5-wire cable (green connector) splits up underneath some foam padding into two bundles. A yellow socket holds the earth (red) and core power (red+black), but is not plugged into anything, and I cant trace what used to be plugged in here. Can anyone shed light / tell me where the rest of the wire continues? The other three wires seem to get bundled together using thinner wire, and run into the car in as one composite wire.

Got a couple of fone pics that begin to show whats going on. I believe that this connector must have fallen out somehow, because the RCL used to work (i got trapped inside once) but has since stopped.

Regards

Rich

Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Alarm ECU and the Lost Wires

Rich,

Since I am at work and can't look at my wifes 850 right now, I will take a guess and say that he plug PROBABLY belongs in the relay box. Look under it and see if it is missing from there. I think the relays are labeled, so try to ID the relay for RCL/Alarm and check behind it.

I will see what I can see tommorrow.

JPN. TECH Any help here maybe?

Old 07-28-2007, 08:21 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Try this.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/C808A6EA462E451B8B385EC78E75E2D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
JPN

Just kidding[8D].

When it comes to remote keyless features, I'm pretty much useless as my 850 did not have one.

After looking at the diagram, I circled the only item I could think of, where the empty 5-pin connector attaches to.

BTW, that green connector reminds me of either the one that goes on top of instrument cluster or to A/C or radio. But Volvo likes to use green connectors so it could go to anywhere. As to the 2-pin connector, I didn't see anything in the diagram, so it may not be related to keyless remote entry.

Tech would be able to tell where they should go to.

Sorry couldn't be of better help.

JPN

Old 07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you sure the remote isn't bad now?

Old 07-29-2007, 07:39 AM

Nice one guys

Well the yellow 2-wire connector is the earth and battery power, and leads to the alarm ecu (i believe its the alarm / immobiliser, its got 2 large relays inside and the actual radio bit). But the way that the yellow connector was wrapped in foam suggests that another cable plugged into it rather than it plugging into somewhere in the relay box.

I'm going to look arnd the whole lot for somewhere for it to go. Just to confirm, its the bundle that comes out of the top of the alarm ecu, and not the 3 wires that go into one deep inside the car.

@JPN, i'm reaching into the garage for that hammer right now!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM

I'm going to try and explain this a whole lot better, i'm not sure i'm conveying my problem correctly.

The alarm ecu, black relay box exists under the driver's footwell, in the distribution panel inside the car. Out of the top of that is the green 5-wire connector. On my car, this was plugged in properly.

On my car, this 5-wire bundle begins to split up about 6 inches from the green connector. It goes into a 2 bundle and a 3 bundle. The 3 bundle is made of thinner wire, and travels on into the car. The problem for me is the 2 wire bundle of a red and red+black wire, which terminates in a yellow connector, meaning it's not plugged in.

So i'm trying to locate the wire that plugs into this yellow connector.

Regards

Rich

Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

I the plug you are talking about mounted in the area that I have circled in red in the picture?

If so 95% of the cars out there are not plugged in.
There might not be the other side of the plug you are looking for.
Very few cars have that plug plugged in.

Have you had the remote tested?

[IMG]local://upfiles/853/DACF7B65BEC34F198DFBC24861B5ADB9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-29-2007, 10:10 AM

It's in that area, on the other side because its a right hand drive.

If its not meant to be plugged in, then the alarm ecu box isnt getting any power because none of the 5 wires are a ground nor a battery voltage.

Unless it takes its power from the distribution board that it itself plugs into, but I thought that was its central locking connections.

I've not had the remotes tested, I dont know anyone with an 850 to try it with. I believe one works tho, it used to.

The reason I suspected the wiring to the alarm ecu is because the document that i posted in a link earlier contained a list of fault finding instructions. Some of them test for ground and voltage across the pins of the green connector, which due to me finding that further up the line its not plugged in, cant possibly work.

What do u think?

Rich

Old 07-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

If the realy is bad you won't get power either.
If you have a Volvo dealer near you they should be able to test the remote for FREE.
They have a box that checks the output signal from the remote.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:55 AM
JPN

I apologise that I forgot to attach a pic in my earlier post. But follow Tech's suggestions first; Tech's T/S is 99.999% correct the first time.

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/E424EAC5718140859B133D088BBAC5A1.jpg[/IMG]