Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Am New To The t5 World And Needs Help With Power losss

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am New To The t5 World And Needs Help With Power losss

i guys i have bought a n reg volvo t5-R its been sitting up for 2 years not been started i bought it and am waiting to put her n the road my friens used to have one and said mine has no power at all i am wondering what i can do after all it has been in storage for 2 years so am guessing a good service new filters an spark plugs might sort this out if anyone else can help me much needed i am only 21 an havent a clue lol

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rob12788
i guys i have bought a n reg volvo t5-R its been sitting up for 2 years not been started i bought it and am waiting to put her n the road my friens used to have one and said mine has no power at all i am wondering what i can do after all it has been in storage for 2 years so am guessing a good service new filters an spark plugs might sort this out if anyone else can help me much needed i am only 21 an havent a clue lol
But it runs right?

A good service is a great place to start, might even want to pay them a little extra just for a professional inspection of your car if you want to start wrenching on it yourself. Also i would have the timing belt & tensioner done if you don't know the mileage since it was last done.

Off the bat i would say you have a boost leak, which is probably caused by the car sitting so long (why was it parked for that long anyway?) and how it's worn on your intercooler hoses (specifically IAC hoses are notorious for having small hard to see tears). Poke around and if you see hoses that have started to disintegrate, that's a likely culprit.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full stage 0

Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 PM

thanks .... its been parked in a dusty wharehouse for so long because it got bought an put in to storage the lad went to travel the world an left it to come home to but got a job while he was away so staying away i bought it m.o.t has been done its insured but no logbooks so waitin for them of the d.v.l.a so i can puchase tax yehh it runs nice an quite but other times can like missfire an give allot of smoke i dont no if thats because of the filters and spark plugs etc... i dont even no the underneath of a bonnet lol where are the hoses found its a automatic and like i said earlyer my friends says these t5-r are supposed to be so fast i havent drove propperly due to no road tax been used for a hour so prob needs a good run on the motorway but am stuck wondering

Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rob12788
thanks .... its been parked in a dusty wharehouse for so long because it got bought an put in to storage the lad went to travel the world an left it to come home to but got a job while he was away so staying away i bought it m.o.t has been done its insured but no logbooks so waitin for them of the d.v.l.a so i can puchase tax yehh it runs nice an quite but other times can like missfire an give allot of smoke i dont no if thats because of the filters and spark plugs etc... i dont even no the underneath of a bonnet lol where are the hoses found its a automatic and like i said earlyer my friends says these t5-r are supposed to be so fast i havent drove propperly due to no road tax been used for a hour so prob needs a good run on the motorway but am stuck wondering
Before you give it a good run give it a tune-up (oil change at the VERY least) and drive it nicely for a little - a combination of old gas and inactivity could give some unwelcomed suprises if you just get out and whip it on the motorway. I'd expect a little smoke, but also for it to clear up about the next tank of petrol.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 PM

thanks for the help i have been sitting in it giveing it a little run to keep the battery up an running every day a little 5 mins but yesterday it starting shuddering an went to cut out so put my foot down to try keep it goin but it died my guess the fuel ran out so today i got a petrol can an put it in and when i come to start her up it just isnt happening any ideas wa it could be ???? thanks