Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

ARD Orange Tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 03:15 PM
BFR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARD Orange Tune

I'm wondering if any of you have run ARD's Orange Tune, which I'm considering for my otherwise stock 1996 850R. I know the company has a good reputation from the search I did but I was unable to find anything discussing the pros (or cons if they exist) of this tune in any detail.

All I basically know about this tune is that it puts the boost at 14 psi and that cam timing is recommended to be set at -1 degrees intake and 0 degrees exhaust for stock cars. That means that on top of the $315.00 cost of the tune, I'll need to spend a few hundred more having a good mechanic who knows these cars pull off the timing belt and reset the cams.

Since the investment would be relatively substantial, it'll be nice to know as much detail as possible, including how beneficial it will be!

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BFR
I'm wondering if any of you have run ARD's Orange Tune, which I'm considering for my otherwise stock 1996 850R. I know the company has a good reputation from the search I did but I was unable to find anything discussing the pros (or cons if they exist) of this tune in any detail.

All I basically know about this tune is that it puts the boost at 14 psi and that cam timing is recommended to be set at -1 degrees intake and 0 degrees exhaust for stock cars. That means that on top of the $315.00 cost of the tune, I'll need to spend a few hundred more having a good mechanic who knows these cars pull off the timing belt and reset the cams.

Since the investment would be relatively substantial, it'll be nice to know as much detail as possible, including how beneficial it will be!

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
ARD is top notch outfit in Portland OR. I was on the fence also between the orange and green tune. I am definitely an advocate for the green after getting one, but I've only had it for a month or so and still dialing some tweaks in...

Adjusting the cam timing is easy as pie; no pulling of cams. The cam gears are slotted so they allow approx +/- 7 degrees of adjust from the factory (which is really sweet if you think about it). Strongly suggest you spend about $20 on the adjustment tool; ARD has them as does IPD.

BTW: here's an article by Lucky (aka Robert Arnold) about cam timing:
http://www.ardtuning.com/Cam-Timing-Basics_b_13.html

This doc pretty well explains how to use the adj tool (memorize this doc!):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...PIZlJg&cad=rja

I have tweaked the adj on my cams several times now; can do it in about 5 minutes; no joke.

Last edited by gdog; 11-01-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:25 AM
BFR

Originally Posted by gdog
ARD is top notch outfit in Portland OR. I was on the fence also between the orange and green tune. I am definitely an advocate for the green after getting one, but I've only had it for a month or so and still dialing some tweaks in...

Adjusting the cam timing is easy as pie; no pulling of cams. The cam gears are slotted so they allow approx +/- 7 degrees of adjust from the factory (which is really sweet if you think about it). Strongly suggest you spend about $20 on the adjustment tool; ARD has them as does IPD.

BTW: here's an article by Lucky (aka Robert Arnold) about cam timing:
http://www.ardtuning.com/Cam-Timing-Basics_b_13.html

This doc pretty well explains how to use the adj tool (memorize this doc!):
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...PIZlJg&cad=rja

I have tweaked the adj on my cams several times now; can do it in about 5 minutes; no joke.
Thanks. Very helpful! Any inkling of the performance gains one can expect from an Orange tune + cam adjustment?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you fill me in on how you personally adjust your cam timing?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:36 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by BFR
Thanks. Very helpful! Any inkling of the performance gains one can expect from an Orange tune + cam adjustment?
A video of the process would be nice. RSPI?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

With a proper cam tool its very easy .

Name:  IMG_2328.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2327.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  70.2 KB

Old 11-05-2013, 12:20 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by boxpin
With a proper cam tool its very easy .

Thanks. Looks like it. How do I move the cam gears with the belt on them? Do you pull them away or remove the gear and move it?

Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 PM

BFR, i might be mis interpreting you, but the shaft moves when using the tool so the belt does not have be able to move, at least that is how I understand it so Boxpin (or anyone else who has done it) correct me if I'm wrong

Old 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM
BFR

Originally Posted by 97black850
BFR, i might be mis interpreting you, but the shaft moves when using the tool so the belt does not have be able to move, at least that is how I understand it so Boxpin (or anyone else who has done it) correct me if I'm wrong
Nope, you're not misinterpreting me, that's what I'm basically asking. My admittedly limited understanding was that the cams were directly bolted to their gears. But if they can move while the gear stays fixed, that would make adjustment easy. I suspect that is the case too but I want to confirm before I yank this thing apart. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM

BFR, i sent you a note. I have ARD Orange in my 850 Turbo wagon. Feel free to ask any questions you would like.

Mark