Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Auto Shift position illumination? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Shift position illumination? etc.

Hi - a great forum you have here!

I've just come by an '95 850 Wagon, 78k, and I'm just starting to clean it up. There are 3 question - all minor - that I can't find answers to and I'm hoping that someone here might have an opinion.

1 Are the gear shift position letters (P, N, R, D etc) on the center console supposed to be illuminated? Mine aren't, and its a pain in the dark! If they are, is it a big issue to replace bulbs myself? All of the other interior/switch lights appear to be working...and I can't find a fuse specifically for console illumination.

2 The 2 trim strips that run along the roof and down the door pillars have a black plastic covering that is flaking and cracking - looks nasty. I don't seem to be able to find any online - can I refurbish them myself?

3 Remote central locking - the car didn't come with a remote. How can I determine whether this was installed, and if not does it make sense to consider adding the receiver & remote?

thanks in advance!

Graeme

Old 01-14-2007, 02:52 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Auto Shift position illumination? etc.

Hello Graeme,

Greetings from Chicagoland.

As to yourquestions:

1) Yes the gear position indicators should illuminate, I assume the bulbs are shot. Haynes manualhas good instruction in this particular case.If youplan to keep your Volvo more than a year, Isuggest that you get one (approx. US$18). To do this, make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable. Also, you will need Torx bits/sockets. Take the bulbs out and bring them to shops to compare the correct size & wattage (acouple ofwatts off wouldn't hurt but better to go with the original).

2) I am not sure which trim piece, since my 850 is a sedan. If it's plastic, I would take it off the car and fix the cracks with glue/filler and re-paint the entire thing with a can of spray paint. Or, visit a local Volvo and ask them the price. In general. dealers charge more than any other place for parts, but certain items are sometimes affordable and are available only at the dealer. Asking for the price is free!

3) This one I cannot comment, as I've never had a remote. If it doesn't have one and you wish to install it, you could try aftermarket unit. If it's not an absolute necessity, I would live with manual locking (key).

Good day,

JPN

Old 01-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help! I've ordered a Haynes Manual and will get to it when it arrives. The strips mentioned in #2 are worn beyond that sort of treatment, much of the plastic has flaked away already...perhaps a total repaint is in order. Luckily, the girlfriend is an artist (grin)

Old 01-14-2007, 09:54 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello again Graeme,

I hope the bulb replacement procedure goes without a problem. Just wanted to add, that the interior pieces used on 850 can be really fragile (mostly ABS), so handle carefully and if there's something you have to remove but is stubborn to come out, try wiggling, rotating, persuading, etc.. gently before resorting to violence. Think of it as handling a woman.

Haynes manual is good for some procedures, but it omits some other info, so think of it as a starting guide. If you encounter difficulty, I'm sure people on this forum (including myself) will give you ideas.

BTW, I have a degree in Fine Art, and have been building plastic model cars & aircraft since I was 5 or 6. The key in painting is to do it at the right temperature (must not be too cold or too hot), and instead of painting it once, it's better to paint at least a few layers of thin paints (paint thicker toward the final coat, follow the directions on the back of cans). This gives deeper shine. I would also polish lightly between coats for better paint adhesion and to achieve even finish. But what do I know, your GF probably knows better than I do.

Good luck,

JPN