Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Axel slips out of transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axel slips out of transmission

My sister has my old 1996 850. Recently she told me it needs a new transmission. When I asked her how its acting she said its shifting fine, but the problem is that theaxel had slipped out of the transmission. She had a mechanic put it back in, it has slipped out a second time, and the mechanic told her she needs a new transmission.

This sounds absurd to me. If anything I would think the problem would be with the axel or some other front end part, not the transmission.

So what would be the most likely causes? Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:38 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Axel slips out of transmission

If the drive axle has slipped out of the transaxle, she must have lost acceleration (as one wheel was not producing any traction) and must have heard clunking noise.

Under normal circumstances the driveshaft should not come off of the transaxle. I would suspect that someone has installed a wrong part, or the axle nut has been extremely loose (it has to have about 6" of play[&:]).

FYR:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850driveline.htm

Take digital pics of the drive shaft & transaxle area if you can and post them here; it would be the best provision for proper diagnosis.

JPN

Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I agree it sounds like an Axle issue.
Maybe the clip on the end of the axle is broke not locking the axle into the transmission.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Your right to question the almighty mechanic dtrieble no offense to mechanics but there are some real crooks out there. Most of the time the guy is to lazy to replace the clip at the tail of the axel shaft I agreee with TECH and I've seen it so many times before I'm not giving guarentee but chances are 80% thats your problem and no tranny issues otherwise P.P.S. when you replce the clip do make sure its not squeezed down it needs (and you'll see) to be poping over the splines and will probably go in hard but this is good and won't come out easily . Also make sure it's in ,tap that axle end with a hammer nice and hard and yank on it to check (don't pull out cv though)//////////////////

Old 03-10-2008, 10:26 AM

yep, be sure to use a 2x4 or some other piece of wood so you dont damage the threads on the end of the axle(where the axle nut goes, duh). I made the mistake of hitting the axle gingerly as to not messup anything on my old honda and guess what I did??? the axle didnt go in all the way, so BOTH popped out when I test drove it for the first time and the ends got twisted but not stripped. I had to replace both axles and learned my lesson!