Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

B5234T EGR Valve Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B5234T EGR Valve Issues

Hey i was wondering if anyone has any pictures or info they can give me regarding this EGR system. When I had my engine partially disassebbled a month ago I was looking tor the EGR valve to service it but I could not find it to do so, being new to the Volvo world i just ignored it.

I am getting a code now for EGR temp sensor A2 4-1-3 and I want to eliminate that stubborn light. I am having a time trying to find it. I am starting to think that the EGR system has been eliminated from my car by the previous owner. I am not certain on it's location but I'm starting to think it's not there.

Is the valve located/bolted to the bottom of the intake of the intake plenum, kinda behind and below the idle air control valve and sort of above the starter motor? See Pic

What I see there is what appears to be a plate that was installed to block off hole for EGR valve? Can someone agree with me on that one? also on the the ehxaust header there seems to be the port where the exhaust should come from is plugged as well.

OK for the question, If I am correct on this being a missing EGR valve what i would like to know is where would the EGR sensor plug in? There seem to be a couple blank harness plugs, under the shroud that is over the fans right where the haynes manual says the EGR Controller is located. Now there is one realy looking thing there on that side I do not know if that is the egr controller or not. Can anyone take a pic of thier car in that area so I can compare miine with it.

Name:  PB100150.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 11-11-2006, 03:42 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: B5234T EGR Valve Issues

Hello Mike,

Good evening from Chicagoland.

I never had a trouble with EGR valve, so I just took a look at Haynes. You seem correct, judging from the illustration on page 6-3 in Haynes in terms of EGR valve location and the previous owner's blocking it off with a plate. In general, EGR valve is located between the exhaust & intake. As the name "EGR" implies, the valve allows part of exhaust gas back into the intake side.

Anyway, the valve looks it's right under the throttle inlet, under the throttle valve housing. In regard to the temp sensor, Haynes says the sensor is attached on EGR valve itself, but the wiring is on the fan shroud. I'll take a look in the engine compartment tomorrow to see where they are. Mr. Tech would be able to give you a better reply than I could, if he's available.

Take a look at the following URL, it's FCP Groton. About midway on the page, you see EGR-related components. The images are small, but may give you some hints as to your question.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo850fuelsystem.htm

I assume you know how to clear the annoying check engine light. I wrote somewhere on the board how I cleared mine.

Good night,

JPN

Old 11-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks JPN, yeah I know how to clear the codes and for some reason with a missing sensor therror keeps coming back haha

I might go to the local Volvo Wrecker to see if I can gather some used parts for the system.

I know I removed the EGR system on my 3000GT a couple years ago and used a block off kit. The difference of what I did then was I removed the EGR Valve sensor and tie wired it tto a piece of metal near the turbo so it would get hot, that worked as far as not bring up a code.

I plan to to that to the volvo once I gather the neccessary parts and hopefully that will rid me of that light!

-Mike

Old 11-12-2006, 12:07 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello Mike,

Good evening from Chicagoland.

I checked under the hood of my 850 before I went to work this morning, and your photo is right, that's where the EGR valve was attached to. From the EGR valve, there was what looked like a vacuum hose that connects the valve and sensor (?) under the cooling fan shroud. There seemed 1 or 2 electrical connectors on that sensor-looking unit. I did not see any electrical connection on the valve itself.

If you can somehow fool the sensor and eliminate the check engine light, that would be a cheap fix.

Good luck,

JPN