Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Back Left Break, Rim was HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Back Left Break, Rim was HOT!

Hey guys!

My back left break is grabbing pretty badly, my front left as well. It will make a loud noise, much like a wine glass and a wet finger tip. A very tonal noise. When I got home I could smell a very metallic smokey smell and my rim was hot to the touch. I called my auto guy and he said he would have to look at it. What can I anticipate the problem being? I have heard that a pin in the break assembly will not disengage so it will leave the break slightly on. What do you guys think? I know they are not warped, Ive had them checked twice.

Thanks a million!

- Alex

Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might be the Hand brake (parking brake) cable ceased a bit if you havent used it frequently or if it has been sitting for a while. What happens is the hand brake shoes dont disengage completely if the cabel has some hesitation in going back after you resease the the brake from inside. many times it starts to return after going for few hundered meters but if not, then you will have to replace the cable or leave it loose if you dont care about the parking brake.
worst case would be the pins on you calliper not returning to normal after depressing and reseasing the brake pedal. Just jack up the car and remove the tyre and check if its the disk pads keeping it tight r its the hand brake shoes. The difference would be that if its hand brake shoes, you might be able to rotate the disk by a very short distance (play in shoes monting) But if its the calliper then you wont feel any movement at all.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, thankyou! I use my parking break one a week or so. I just put it on, let it sit, then disengage it to keep this from happening. Maybe Ive caused it! Im taking it in for work on monday. Ill let everyone know!