Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Blue Smoke and Oil from Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Smoke and Oil from Turbo

This is a 97' GLT with 170k. The vehicle seems to be idling and running okay but there is blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe and oil is leaking from near/around the turbo. A local, non-Volvo mechanic is telling me that both the engine and the turbo are shot. Any thoughts?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Blue Smoke and Oil from Turbo

Check compression on the motor, and Remove the air hose to the turbo and wiggle the Shaft to see if it has any play.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

First thing you need to do is service the PCV system. If a hose is broke or the box is clogged it will smoke like that.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for PCV.

Slight oil leak on the bottom of the turbocharger is considered normal.

JPN

Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yep, try the PCV system fist, then compression check. Always do the simple stuff first

Old 01-24-2009, 03:13 PM

ORIGINAL: JPN

+1 for PCV.

Slight oil leak on the bottom of the turbocharger is considered normal.

JPN
I'm new to all of this. Can you explain what you mean by "service the PCV System"? What and where exactly would I need to check? What and where is the "box" that may be clogged? Any parts to replace?

Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a kit you get from frcgroton that give you everything you need to service the PCV system:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/63

Call them first to make sure this is the right one for your car though. I know the 97 GLT has the low pressure turbo and this is the kit for the turbo model or the 850 T5. They have two kits for 97 one for Turbo and one for non turbo and the GLT sort of falls in between the two.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Got Boost?

ORIGINAL: zbrink

Im new to all of this. Can you explain what you mean by "service the PCV System"? What and where exactly would I need to check? What and where is the "box" that may be clogged? Any parts to replace?
Here is a link to help: http://www.lakesidedp.com/uploadpics/pcv/

He has a turbo right? so he needs the one for the turbo models, I dont think that LPT orHPT makes a difference.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Here is my story.
Did complete PCV system on mine and still have some blowby when accelerating or idling for few seconds. If I open throttle and then let it go idle, the blow-by disappers for few seconds and comes back again. Its not blowing with high pressure though but I can see the cloud.
There is a lot of oil under the turbo....I cleaned it few times and it reappears in few minutes of driving. It has started to drip on the rear mount and is also getting onto the axle which sprays it little more in all directions. I took the intake hose off the turbo and checked the shaft for play. It doenst seem to have any radial play but I can wiggle the shaft IN and OUT for about 5-10 mm.
Does this meant that my turbo has seen enough and now needs to retire? Also, can I just bypass the turbo by removig the shaft and blocking it with long nut and bolt through it? ( I did this on my Dihatsu diesel turbo when the turbo died on it and my dad could drive it for good 6 years after that without problem).
Please suggest

Old 03-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Got Boost?

If the fins touch the compressor housing, while you wiggle it, then It is going to need a rebuild or just find a replacement. But it does sound like your turbo is shot....
You can find a replacement for ~$150 on other forums, or see if a local junkyard has some.

Wait for others to comment.

Last edited by TIPSP; 03-24-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM

What about the option of Making it dummy by replacing the shaft with a long bolt with sealing washers on both sides and disconnecting the oil and coolant lines?

How hard it is to pull the turbo out? Any directions or step-by-step to do it?
What years of 850's turbos will fit mine and will I need to order some new gaskets etc?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Got Boost?

Not sure about messing with turbo.....Some one would have to assist you there.

Turbo is not that bad of a replacement. Tech just swap his housing, I think, so he could probably give you a better example....

I can give you some instructions from VADIS....let me go copy it for you.....

Here is a list of what turbos and flanges are used: http://www.quickbrickmotorsports.com...lange_list.htm

This is the 94 right? you will need a Conical flange turbo, but other than that...you could use a 15G or any other turbo that has the same flange. just dont go too big.

PM me your email so I can send you the scans.

Attached Thumbnails  Blue Smoke and Oil from Turbo-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by TIPSP; 03-24-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: email
Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks TIPSP,
Can I just take the turbo out without touching the exhaust side of it. i dont want to mess with those 'browned' exhaust bolts. So, is it possible to just remove the intake hose and the nut on the clamp that holds the turbo to exhaust and pull the turbo out of the Exhaust (towards the driver side)?
I will probably try to run the engine by connectong the air filter box outlet directly to the throttle body and see if air metering works and engine runs OK. IF it works then possibly I will bypass te turbo as mentioned above untill I get hold of one from wreckers or the volvo store we have in town.
Please chime in your opinion and expert advise.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Got Boost?

uh.....Tough call to make.

Your idea makes sence, but I dont know how the ECU will run in a NA mode?
What you could try is to force the wastegate so the pluck is stuck open, so most of the exhaust will pass through that. That way, there should be no boost.

BTW.....I'm not an expert. So please wait for others to give you some advise!
and check you email...I sent you a message to reply to.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks again...I will check mail when i reach home....and will wait for someone who has got more hands-on on turbos.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Got Boost?

Okay....sounds good.

also check out swedespeed or volvospeed for turbo help.

Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM

One more question....I am thinking on working on it this weekend but wonder if someone can tell me before hand the where that oil under the turbo make its way out from? Is there a possible opening in the turbo where it comes out from or its just leaking out from the intake hose connection?

Old 03-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

It leaks from the intake hose connection.
A long time ago at the Dealer we used to cut a bicycle tube and install in on the turbo then install the intake hose and that would stop it for a while.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
Got Boost?

Originally Posted by tech
It leaks from the intake hose connection.
A long time ago at the Dealer we used to cut a bicycle tube and install in on the turbo then install the intake hose and that would stop it for a while.
Old Skool!

Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Yes very old school.

Quick Reply: Blue Smoke and Oil from Turbo