Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Burning oil at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning oil at idle

My 94 150K 850 Turbo is intermitantly burning oil. No smoke at start up, but after 2 mins it begins to burn. If I step on the gas I get it blown out then it's clear under rpm. How bad does this sound? I have been pulling EGR, fuel injector, and slow 02 Sensor readings. Even after running for an hour, if I sit idle it starts again.

Old 08-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Burning oil at idle

Sounds like the Turbo is burning oil. Meaning the turbo is going bad.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 PM

OK so at idle a turbo going bad might cause it to burn oil. I assumed the turbo did nothing until you stepped on the gas??? Is there anyway to test this? What do you recommend? Rebuild turbo, replace turbo, find used turbo, sell car? What happens if I ignore this? Am I creating all kinds of other problems.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

It isn't good for the O2 sensors.

When they go bad the oil gets sucked in and burns at idle.

I would reccomend a rebuilt one.

You can drop the exhaust and see if there is alot of oil in it.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:43 AM

Do not get too far ahead of yourself. When oil changes are done within proper intervals, our turbo(s) easily last over 200K miles.

If you suspect that your turbo has a problem...

Remove the intercooler pipe between turbo and intercooler. Do you see a thick oil film inside of pipe?

Remove the turbo inlet hose between air filter box and turbo. Do you see oil puddled inside of turbo housing? Firmly pull on turbo compressor wheel. Is there a lot of slop and play in the turbo shaft?

Have your current turbo rebuilt professionally. It shouldn't cost much more than $300. Remember to purchase and install a new turbo oil feed line.

And one other thing... For the price of a rebuilt, your existing turbo housing can be over-bored for a larger compressor wheel, such as -15G, -16G, -16T, or -17C.

Shop and compare...

http://www.forcedperformance.net/
Forced Performance
671 New Hope Road West
McKinney, TX 75071
Phone: (972) 984-1800
Fax: (972) 984-1802
Sales@forcedperformance.net
Rebuild@forcedperformance.net

http://www.turbochargers.com
Turbochargers.com
5410 Burr Oak Drive
Houston, Texas 77092
Tech Line: (713) 681-1111
Order Line Toll Free: (800) 749-7111
Fax: (713) 939-1111
Email - Turbo@turbochargers.com

http://www.dallasturbo.com/
Majestic Turbochargers of Dallas
1000 S. Wildwood
Suite 10
Irving, TX, 75060

http://www.hirschinds.com/
HIRSCH FOREIGN
P.O. BOX 18063
PHOENIX, AZ 85009

Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM

Where can I get instructions on removing and replacing the turbo? Should I attempt this myself?

Old 08-15-2006, 02:25 PM

Have you removed the hoses/pipe between the turbo and intercooler? Have you checked the compressor-wheel shaft for play?

Removing turbo should be a simple task. Soak bolts/nuts with PB Blaster. Mark and ID all wires and connectors.

You should consider replacing metal oil feed lines and rubber coolant hoses, if you remove turbo.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks Robert,

I haven't seen any pics on doing removing the turbo. Is there any write up on this?

Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Hello, I'm brand new here and a brand new Volvo owner :-)
A 1995 850 GLT. It's an awesome car and I love it. I just bought it through an auction for what I thought was a good price. I think this is my 4th day now and I'm not so sure anymore. I am posting a reply to this because this is one of my problems. Except mine is not a turbo. But if your driving around there is no smoke, but at idle for awhile and then start out, there is a puff of smoke coming from the exhaust, at times alot of smoke when it's idleing, but not while driving. What could this type of problem be if I don't have a turbo since all the posts say the turbo is going bad. Some other things I have found out so far is, there is a pretty decent oil leak under the engine. I have not investigated yet to try and see where it's coming from, and when the car gets started up and is cold, it drives great. Once it starts to warm up, every now and then it feels different when it downshifts, like if I'm going 50 down the street and come to a stop at a red light, the downshifting will feel different sometimes (like a little harder) and then green light, push the gas and the rpm goes up but I don't go anywhere, then a little nudge and off I go. It just seems to be so far related to 1st gear. Once I get going, there is no problem with the car shifting. I have not noticed the shift light coming on at all, and I have shifted into 3 so the light will come on so it's not the bulb. I am still learning how everything on this car works. I checked the fluid but the engine was cold and the fluid seemed to be just above the hot line. It was getting dark so I don't know what the color was. I have read in another post about checking the fluid when it's hot and shifting through all the gears and then check the level. I also have the check engine light on. I am going to go to Autozone today and see if they can get some codes pulled and post them later. The odometer is also not working, there is 143K on it but who knows how long it hasn't been working. Is that an easy fix? Other than those, just some bulbs out and that's it. I really, really like this car. What do you guys think. Is it salvageable or not. Thanks in advance for any info or advice you throw my way.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Check the flame trap system
If if it clogged it could be sucking oil at idle.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 PM

hey, thanks tech. I read something earlier today on another post about the flame trap and printed some good info and pics about checking and replacing it. I hope that's nothing to serious. Like I said before, I really love this car already if I can work out these issues without it costing me all my money. I also stopped by autozone tonight on my way home. He hooked up the scanner to the OBD II (I read some have both 1 and 2. Not sure if this one does) and he said there was only one code coming up which was P0103. Something about MAP or MAF or something. Anywhere that you know of to get a little more detail about this code for Volvo. The transmission really behaved nicely tonight too. I'm going to check the transmission fluid tommorow when it's hot and it's light outside and maybe drain it this weekend if it needs it. Also am going to try and locate the oil leak so I can see how good or bad that is going to be. Thanks again.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Administrator

If you have a vaccum leak it can throw that code.