Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

car is leaking and burning oil.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is leaking and burning oil.

I have a 95 850 turbo. it leaks oil and burns it. The back of my car is always black (its a white car) from the oil burning and to make it worse it leaks as well. i think the leak is right below where the headers bolt up but not sure.There's alot of oil under there. I tried to spray it all down with brake cleaner to clean it up a little but it didnt help much.Is this a head gasket or valve cover gasket leak?

Old 07-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Default RE: car is leaking and burning oil.

there's an o-ring that's bad about leaking on the bottom of the oil return tube, runs from the turbo to the oil pan, directly above the oil drain plug. it's not too hard to change if you have a little experience. but if you're getting black soot at the back of the car above the exhause tip, you need to have your O2 sensors checked out.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:44 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,

Sorry about the problem.

Black soot is probably due to rich Air/Fuel mixture, which may be caused by neglected tune up or possible (minor) problem in the electronic control unit for engine control. Have the codes checked out; your car is '95 so you can do this yourself manually; no tool/tester is required.

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/a2.html

If the head gasket is shot, the smoke should be bluish, instead of black/dark gray. so I assume the head gasket is ok.

As to the leak, it is hard to tell where exactly it is coming from , without a pic. Is the oil filler cap leaking? Try cleaning the engine with engine degreaser (a few $ at Walmart), let it soak for a few minutes and spray water with hand sprayer; do not use hose to flood the engine compartment, and do this when the engine is cold. Some scrubbing with brush may be necessary. Once the engine is clean, you can locate the leak. The valve cover on 850 is actually a "camshaft cover", unlike conventional valve cover and it requires utmost attention upon removal, as there are some thin sections and you can break the cover as it is constructed of aluminum.

As to the turbo oil return line, check this out:

http://volvospeed.com/Repair/turborepairline.php

If you're handy with tools and have goos sense of safety, you can fix many problems on 850, I'll leave you with a good on-line parts vendor which some of us here use:

http://www.fcpgroton.com/volvo.htm#850

I hope this helps.

JPN

Old 07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Cleam engine really good and see where it is leaking from. (But not with soap and water) Use brake cleaner

Old 08-03-2007, 06:24 PM

I had already removed the valve cover when i posted this thread. That was a pain in the a** bcs i didnt know that the cams were under tension. I am going to put that back together then run car to see where oil leak might be. it wasnt the oil return line so i did clean everything pretty good with brake cleaner. i hope i can find the leak.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Will wait for your updates.

JPN