Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

Car Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo System

Hello All,
Recently I have got my self a 1997 Volvo 850 Station Wagon really a smooth ride just love it. I am thinking of doinga little project over the spring break and i was hopping you guys can help me. I would like to install subwoofers in the car yes I know it sounds a lil cheesy to have a box pounding in the wagon but hey i like a lil base. My questions are as follows please help.

In the 850 there is the original cassette player...if i was to buy an original Volvo cd player are there jacks in the back were i can plug in the amp and the subs? Since there is a anti theft on the stereo is it possible to install an aftermarket JVC stereo system...what would i need besides a harness? And as well does anyone know how to remove the meshed covers were the speakers are in the front drive and passenger side doors? Thank you all so much for your help!!!!

Nesa

Old 03-29-2007, 01:48 AM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Car Stereo System

Greetings from Yokohama, Japan.

As to the audio set-up, I'm not much of use since I never had to replace the original SC-810 (ā†seems to be of Alpine) or install an woofer. Other people can help you better than I could on this.

As to the speaker mesh, they are usually press-fit. You can pry them off carefully with a flat-blade screwdriver. I would use a plastic screwdriver if available to avoid damage.

Wait till others jump in. Sorry I couldn't help you much.

Regards,

JPN

[IMG]local://upfiles/6892/E02E55620E974DA5834F53B0EDD52114.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM

I'm trying to replace the stereo in the exact same car model and year, any advice anyone? I need to figure out any additional wiring stuff I need to buy.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM

to put in a new head unit all you need is a wiring harness which you can pick up at a local best buy, just follow the wire colors and you will be fine. they also sell kits for about 20$ to fill in the gap that will be left by your new head unit.

as stated the covers over the door speakers just pop on and off, i replaced all of my door and rear speakers with some alpine type R's, they run about 100$ new and you can find them on ebay for cheap, they are great component speakers for the money.

next is the sub, now depending on what you want to do......
i would recomend running one sub with a mono amp meaning you are only powering your sub with the amp which makes it pretty simple. i have 1 12inch rockford fosgate P3 sub(best subs for the money), with a 1000wat kenwood amp, in my volvo sedan and the thing hits harrrrdddddd. you only really need one sub unless you want to go crazy

after picking out your sub and amp (this is if you get a mono amp), you should pick up a wiring kit they run about 80$. then connect a wire from you pos. battery terminal to your amp, an ignition wire from you amp to the head unit, rca cabble from you head unit to your amp, ground cable from your amp to where evere you want, and wires from your amp to your sub. thats is

heres what my 850 looks like with a system, let me know if you have anymore questions

Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM

Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a jvc head unit in my 850, and if you get the right harness and installation kit it all fits right in. and the new head units will have an output for a sub, although i'd reccomend wiring the sub in through the speakers because i think it sounds better and hits a little more clearly, but that's a chore. i have an infinity powered sub, so it has an amp built in so i didn't have to worry about all that, the only hard part i had was getting a line through the firewall to the battery, so i just ended up splicing into the cigarrette lighter, which worked just as well as attaching it right to that battery, and it was a lot easier.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey now,

I had an AVIC-N1 by Pioneerin my '94 Acura Vigor GS:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1717298, gone now and that's ok

And this is the currenr ride [sm=loveeyes.gif], spring cleaning is coming tomorrow:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2434331, and a few changes since the factoy deck was replaced with a DEH3900MP from Pioneer that sounds sooooo much better than the factory.

It has an AUX. input which allows for the Acer Aspire 3100 laptop which runs the Garmin Navigation. The deck has a number of different settings and the best part if that I get a second equalizer with Wndows and all of the effects that naturally come with the media player.