Volvo 850 Made from 1993 to 1997, this Volvo line was available in both a wagon and a sedan, both with were graced with several trim levels.

castrol vs mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:10 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I feel someone is going to take a shot at me here but in very , very general terms transmission fluid is roughly a straight 10W oil with a load of detergents in it. Like I said that is a VERY general description.

Having said that you can toss five quarts of trans fluid into the engine and take a 3,000 mile trip. Sure wouldn't do it in the summer or drive it hard but it's oil. It takes a pretty good beating in transmissions and holds up. It handles the transmissions high temperatures and it's service life is well over 30k in a transmission (doesn't have to deal with combustion by product contaminants).
My ford 4.6's have a recommendation of 5 W 20 year around so a 10w really isn't far from that.

If you buy "engine flush" just make sure you read the directions. Some you can toss in and drive for a while but others will really thin out your oil and you shouldn't do anything but idle your engine with them as it's really, really thin. That is how they do an excellent job of cleaning.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kiss4aFrog is absolutely correct concerning the use of Motor Flush. You should follow the directions on the can, or bottle ! The directions on the bottle I bought state: run the engine, at idle, for only 5 minutes with the flush solution in it.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM

I got the car home registered it drove it to the shop put 1 quart in it ran it for a while went for a little drive then changed the oil. No lifter issues no smoke except for extended idle periods of 15 mins or longer clears up after a few good revs! Use normal Dexron. I've changed the oil 2 time since I bought it, clean amber color. Darker than new obviously but not black! You can add it to an new oil change if you want but not necessary, add it before you do the oil change go for a ride 2 days of back and forth to work then change it. But you do not to drive around and push the car with more oil than needed, so you could just put it in and idle for 15 mins, go for a 10 mile drive then change it.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Cool. Part of my questions about cleaning the motor out is due to how dirty I found my head when I pulled my intake while doing my PCV. It was real ditry and had a lot of grime in there. I wish I could clean that up.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM

If you run it and drive for a day or so and change it, it might clean that up enough!

Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Synthetic oils are terrible for real engine protection. I use Penzoil 10W-30 (recommended to me by Mike and David Crower of Crower Cams. They told me to use regular oil like penzoil, castrol, etc. Mobil1 is one of the worst out there. It breaks down a lot quicker than standard oils and causes engine damage.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it looks like we got one mobil 1 hater on board guys.loll

Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

LOL, if that don't take it all. I guess I should check my compression now then check it in 100,000 miles. I would have never imagined anyone would have written or told anyone that. That's as odd as saying that 91+ octane will damage your motor and fuel system.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Go to the 2 minute mark:
Synthetic Oil vs. POO (plain ol' oil) - YouTube

Mobil 1 video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apAtK...eature=related

Last edited by rspi; 01-09-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: link
Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Chris 850T the first thing i would do is take my car to another mechanic and have them check it out throughly because the mechanics you are using are out of ther Fricking minds, and as the italians say" and i don't mean that in a bad way" LOL. Synthetic oils have been proven to provide superior engine protection in numerous studies. I have been selling Amsoil Synthetic oil for over 25 years and have never had a mechanic tell me that Synthetic oil destroys engines. I live about 100 mile from Richmond Virginia and when Nascar comes to town for the race there is about twenty pallets of Racing oil waiting for them. And plenty of the cars that have another major oil brand on the hood are not using that dino oil in the engine. I sell Amsoil but i will tell you this Mobil 1 is a very good oil. I think you misunderstood your mechanics. The next time you fly remember what type of oil is used in all Jet engines and other areas of that aircraft.

Last edited by jbuck; 01-09-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

I've also got friends that track their cars and have their own personal experience that mobil1 breaks down faster than conventional oils. Maybe not all synthetics do this, but I'll stick to what the guys who build engines and have real racing experience have told me. You guys go ahead and spend more money on oil to get less protection. I'm just putting my .02 in here to offer some better advice than "mobile1 is the best!" I used to use mobile1 religiously but now I see it as a waste of a few more dollars. Especially I changing oil every 3k anyway.

Oh, jbuck, I don't use mechanics. If any of my cars need work, I do it myself. I've built and rebuilt more than a handful of Honda motors with no trouble as well as everything else you can think of. I do, however, look to knowledgeable people in areas that I'm not familiar with for their advice.

Last edited by Chris 850T; 01-10-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Well, I remember back in the late 70's when Mobil 1 was the 1st company that really hit the public to use synthetic oil in their passenger cars. The bigest jab I got at my brother is when I set a case of it on our porch and wouldn't let him touch a can of it.

I just can't imagine a large company like Mobil 1 selling a product sub standard to regular conventional oils. I would also like to say that I don't believe an oil has "broken down" all because it looks dirty.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Well I would have to say in a racing application the oil will break down fast regardless. High RPM and long constant revving will do that! I ran 15w40 with 1 quart of Lucas in my Integra that I auto crossed, I changed the oil every 1500 miles depending in when I had races. But the oil was black and when it came out you could see it was not consistant or holding together well! But hey I know what I like and use and that's all i care about!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Robert actually Amsoil was the first to bring Synthetic oil to the Market even before Mobile 1. Chris i have real race experience having owned two racing teams and have been involved in numerious racing event throughtout the county. I have personal friends, chemist,that work for Mobil out of Fairfax Va (Corporate HQ)where i live. As you might imagine this is always a hot topic when we get together. Not once, not once in twenty years have i ever heard them say , or for that matter any mechanic say "Synthetic Oil damage engines" as you said. In a racing application all oils are going to break down quicker due to the high heat and stress associated with conditions. But that same reasoning would then apply to regular oil. Show me the hard data to back up your claim, you won't find any. I can show you numerous test conducted by independant labs that show Synthetics are far superior to regular oil.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator

JBuck, I believe you that Amsoil was first to hit the market with synthetic, I was just saying that Mobil 1 was first to market it well. Kinda like the smart phones. Most people think the iPhone was the first smart phone to do things like watch youtube videos, etc. on phones. Palm and Crackberry were way ahead of Apple on that boat. They just got spanked.

Also, I am thinking about taking my car to the BBORR. I want to enter the GT3 class which has a average speed of 125 mph and top speed of 140. I don't think synthetic oil should have a problem holding up to this stress for 118 miles (59 miles x2). Do you? I have not had the opportunity to keep any of my Volvo's at a substained speed of more than 110 mph. Not sure if they will start to heat up and cook oil if driven at 125 for longer than 10 minutes. My guess is that the car will be in boost most if not all of the time being that it's only a 2.3L motor. I believe that there is a big difference in bursting up to 110 or 120 for a minute or two than substaining 120 or more for 25/30 minutes.

Last edited by rspi; 01-11-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you really want to know oil you need to test it. These guys are really serious about their oil and if you want to know you'll learn more than you ever wanted (or can comprehend) at this site.

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

You can dis Mobil1 all you want but there wouldn't be any race car stickers on the serious big buck guys cars if the stuff breaks down faster than something else.

Bottom line is Volvo recommends synthetic, run a name brand, any name brand synthetic and change it when you should and you can expect the best result.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

l think using mobil 1 oils makes my engine run good and heat up early than other oils l have used. and after a month of running on mobil 1 it still kind of had the light brown looking color

Old 01-12-2012, 02:15 AM

Robert this is what i use at the track.. Kissafrog I could not have said it any better. Thank you. PS General motors puts Synthetic in the Corvette at the factory. I guess they need more engine damage for warranty work. LOL

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd20.aspx

Last edited by jbuck; 01-12-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jbuck
Robert actually Amsoil was the first to bring Synthetic oil to the Market even before Mobile 1. Chris i have real race experience having owned two racing teams and have been involved in numerious racing event throughtout the county. I have personal friends, chemist,that work for Mobil out of Fairfax Va (Corporate HQ)where i live. As you might imagine this is always a hot topic when we get together. Not once, not once in twenty years have i ever heard them say , or for that matter any mechanic say "Synthetic Oil damage engines" as you said. In a racing application all oils are going to break down quicker due to the high heat and stress associated with conditions. But that same reasoning would then apply to regular oil. Show me the hard data to back up your claim, you won't find any. I can show you numerous test conducted by independant labs that show Synthetics are far superior to regular oil.
My statement was based on the observations of the guys that I've talked to. They say that their engines burn more oil using mobil1 vs a conventional oil. I used mobil1 in my last engine and it ate my cams. When Matt Crower asked me what oil I used, I told him Mobil1 he went off on a rant about how it offers poor protection.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Administrator

@Kiss: I did find that site and looked up a little info there but didn't have time to park there long. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: castrol vs mobil 1